Know your Tornado Terminology
TORNADO WATCH: Conditions are favorable for thunderstorms to form tornadoes within the watch area through a set timeframe. Be prepared for weather conditions to change quickly and review/make a Severe Weather Safety Plan. Check weather conditions frequently.
What should you do during a Tornado Watch?
- Identify your safe place in the event of severe weather and review or make a Severe Weather Safety Plan with your family making sure every member knows the plan.
Watch for updates from WDIO Storm Track Weather.
TORNADO WARNING: A tornado has been spotted and will impact those in the warned area. If you are in a tornado warning, you need to seek shelter immediately.
What should you do during a Tornado Warning?
- Follow your Severe Weather Safety Plan.
- Seek shelter in the lowest level in your home; basement is ideal but if you don’t have a basement, a small interior room on the lowest level of your home without windows or exterior walls will do.
- Crouch down, covering your neck with your hands. Get under a piece of furniture if possible.
If caught Outside:
- Seek shelter indoors.
- If driving, do not attempt to outrun a tornado.
- Do not attempt to seek shelter in a car.
- Do not seek shelter under a bridge or overpass
- If you cannot move indoors, seek shelter in a ditch or low lying area.
- Crouch down, covering your head and neck with your hands