Comment period open for Duluth area stream management plans
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is asking for feedback regarding the fisheries management plans in the Duluth area. Public input is most useful before plans are finalized and may be submitted through Friday, March 1. Contact the Duluth area fisheries office by email at email@example.com or phone at 218-302-3264.
In the Duluth area, plans for the following streams will be reviewed this winter:
- Barrs Creek, St. Louis County
- Brophy Creek, St. Louis County
- Prairie River/Hasty Brook, St. Louis and Carlton counties
- Slaughterhouse Creek, Carlton County
- Unnamed tributary to Clear Creek (Military Creek), Carlton County
- Unnamed tributary to East Branch of Amity Creek (Cooper Creek), St. Louis County
- Unnamed tributary to Hellwig Creek (Shippley Creek), St. Louis County
- Unnamed tributary to Midway River (Adolph Creek), St. Louis County
- Unnamed tributary to Midway River (Korby Creek), Carlton County
- Unnamed tributary to West Rocky Run (Jeffrey Creek), St. Louis County
- Unnamed tributary to West Rocky Run (Solway Creek), St. Louis County
The DNR will use the comments as it updates or creates specific management activities plans for these streams over the next five to 20 years.
According to the DNR, the plans include a variety of fisheries information such as:
- Summaries and evaluation of past management activities and regulations
- Background information such as water chemistry and water temperature
- Species presence, stocking, and historic catch rates from previous fisheries surveys
The DNR says comments and suggestions for managing other lakes and streams in the Duluth work area are welcome at any time and will be considered when those plans are due for review. More information about the Duluth area fisheries office is available on the Minnesota DNR website at mndnr.gov/areas/fisheries/duluth.