Managing stress at work
Nikki Karnowski of Metamorphosis CCT says that stress at work becomes “normal” for some people, so it can be difficult to manage if you’re unaware of it.
Nikki suggest asking yourself the following questions:
- Are you irritable, angry, or wound up?
- Do you feel overburdened or overwhelmed?
- How much of your day is consumed with being anxious, nervous, or afraid?
- Do you struggle with racing thoughts?
- Inability to enjoy yourself, to rest, or relax.
- Loss of humor or interest in day to day things.
- Feeling depressed or struggling with mental health.
And there are physical symptoms to watch out for too:
- Difficulty breathing
- Panic attacks
- Sore eyes or blurred eye sight
- Sleep problems or fatigue
- Muscle aches, headaches, chest pain, high blood pressure
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Feeling sick, dizzy or fainting
- Sudden weight gain or loss
- Rashes or excessive sweating
Nikki suggests the following ways to cope:
- Know when to stop
- Set boundaries
- Prioritize the BIG 3 — Good nutrition, sleep, exercise
- Re-evaluate priorities in the season
- Engage in intentional practices to de-stress