Minnesota DPS kicks off Winter Hazard Awareness Week
The Midwest winter is on the way and its almost time to get out the gloves and boots. To prepare Minnesotans for the upcoming winter season, the Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) department under the Minnesota Department of Public Safety in collaboration with the National Weather Service, is hosting the annual Winter Hazard Awareness Week.
This week features a social media informational campaign that focuses on daily topics related to winter weather safety.
The topics include:
- Monday, Nov. 13:
- Winter Weather Overview – Ice storms, blizzards, sub-zero temperatures, winter weather watches, warnings, and wind chill.
- Tuesday, Nov. 14:
- Outdoor Winter Safety – Safety on ice, snowmobile safety, hypothermia, and frostbite.
- Wednesday, Nov. 15:
- Winter Fire Safety – Winter and holiday fire safety, alternative heat sources, smoke detectors, cooking safety, candles, and decorations.
- Thursday, Nov. 16:
- Indoor Winter Safety – Carbon monoxide, radon, mold and general home care.
- Friday. Nov. 17:
- Winter Driving – Auto safety, snowplows, road conditions, using 511. winter driving tips and car survival kits.
Find additional information on the National Weather Service’s winter safety webpage.