Vehicle falls through the ice in Cass County, sheriff’s office urging caution
Cass County Sheriff Bryan Welk reported that on Friday, January 6th 2023 at around 10:11 AM, the Cass County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a vehicle through the ice on Leech Lake by Horseshoe Bay Resort. Deputies learned that a 2007 Dodge Ram Pickup with snowplow was operating on a plowed roadway on the lake when a large crack formed, and the vehicle went through the ice. The road was re-routed and anglers in the area were notified.
Sheriff Bryan Welk urges folks to follow these safety tips when travelling on the ice:
• No ice should ever be considered safe.
• Check existing ice conditions as you travel.
• Check with local bait shops, resorts, gas stations, and/or other fisherman for conditions.
• Consider other means of transportation besides a motor vehicle. (ATV, snowmobile or foot travel are good choices)
• Do not travel on the lake after dark.
• Always notify someone of the area you are traveling in and your expected return time.
• Carry a cell phone.
• Be familiar with the lake – carry a map.
• If you need emergency assistance, call 911.
• Consider a GPS unit to help you on and off the lake.
• Avoid the use of alcohol.
• Pay attention to warning signs that are posted. Remember warning signs cannot be posted everywhere.
• When available, access the lake through a resort or public access and travel only on plowed roads.
In addition, to use good common sense and check conditions when planning to travel on the ice to ensure a safe and successful adventure!