Residents prepare to evacuate near International Falls
Flooding and high water continue to be a problem in the International Falls, Rainy River area. According to a notice on the Koochiching County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page, additional road closures are underway and residents in these areas are being asked to prepare for possible evacuation. According to the Sheriff’s office, an evacuation notice sent out was voluntary.
County Road 135 and Town Road 225 closed Friday afternoon due to rising water levels.
Authorities ask for residents to begin preparations to leave, and take extra precautions for relocating anyone with special needs. Remember to pack extra medications.
Authorities say there will be a temporary evacuation checkpoint at the Backus Community Center located at 900 5th Street in International Falls. There is no sheltering in Backus. Residents can call the Public Health and Human Services at 218-283-7070 for further shelter information.
If you do plan to leave, the Koochiching County Sheriff’s Office has a list of items that you may want to bring to along:
- Wash cloth
- Medication (at least a 2-week supply)
- Functional or access needs items (CPAP, oxygen, etc.)
- Sleeping Bag or Blanket
- Pet food, supplies if you have a pet. Cage, leash, food/water dish
- Personal Toiletries
- Necessary Clothing (2-week supply)
- Storage tub for items (to store under cot)
- Padlock to secure storage in locker
- Cell phone charger
- Games, cards, books to pass the time
Weapons or firearms are not allowed in the shelter.