Minnesota National Guard activated in flood response
Governor Tim Walz signed an executive order on May 19, 2022 to activate the Minnesota National Guard in support of flood operations in northeastern Minnesota. In response to the governor’s peacetime emergency announcement, 45 soldiers from the Duluth-based 1st Battalion, 94th Cavalry Regiment will be sent to the Rainy River Basin.
"Soldiers and Airmen of the Minnesota National Guard live here, work here, and serve here. This mission is an example of their dedication to their fellow Minnesotans." said Army Col. Scott Rohweder, Minnesota National Guard Director of Operations. "Upon receiving notification of the need for support, 1st Battalion, 94th Cavalry Regiment immediately began preparations to assist community members and civil authorities of the Rainy River Basin.
We will provide the support that is needed, and continue to be ‘Always Ready, Always There’ to respond when our state and nation needs us."
The soldiers are tasked with supporting flood mitigation activities due to concerning water levels and the projected precipitation for the region within the coming days. Their flood response will be in support of efforts by St. Louis and Koochiching County civil authorities.
“Talking to people who are sandbagging, our average age up here is around 65,” said Ranier resident Sylvia Johnston. “We have a lot of retirees and a lot of tourist-type people who come up here for the summer, and it’s almost impossible to comprehend what everybody is going through. We need help. Really bad. The news that the National Guard may be coming is just the greatest news.”
The Minnesota National Guard previously supported flooding response in this region in 2014.