Carbon monoxide poisoning and safety tips

[anvplayer video=”5079692″ station=”998130″]

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can kill you if large enough levels get into your body. One of the easiest ways to protect yourself from carbon monoxide is to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

The alarm should be tested monthly, making sure it always has fresh batteries is critical. These alarms will expire, so it is best to replace them every seven to nine years.

"If you have a buildup of it in your home, you don’t know unless you have a carbon monoxide alarm, it’s especially deadly at night because people go to sleep. What happens when carbon monoxide builds up in your system, it can make you drowsy and more sleepy. So if you’re already asleep, it puts you in a deeper sleep and people don’t wake up," said deputy chief firefighter Jon Otis.

So, according to Deputy Chief Otis, you must have a carbon monoxide detector within 10 feet of where a person sleeps in your home. You should place an alarm in your living room and on each level of your home. Maintain all appliances, like your stove and oven, and making sure you are cleaning air vents regularly can help to reduce the buildup and beginning stage of carbon monoxide