Authorities: Carbon monoxide caused deaths of 7 in Moorhead
MOORHEAD, Minn. (AP) – Authorities say seven members of an immigrant family from Honduras whose bodies were found inside a Minnesota home last weekend died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The victims were discovered Saturday night in home in south Moorhead when other family members checked on them after not hearing from them.
Police reported the cause of death Wednesday after a medical examiner’s office examined blood samples.
Family members who gathered at the house Monday to share stories described their loved ones as happy people who were relieved to get away from turmoil in Honduras.
ORIGINAL STORY: Authorities say the bodies of seven people were discovered inside a twin home in the northwestern Minnesota city of Moorhead, but did not say how they died. Police said the victims included four adults and three children. They were found just before 8 p.m. Saturday by family members conducting a welfare check at the home in Moorhead.
Those family members called police. There were no signs of violence or forced entry into the residence, police said.
Authorities have released the names of the victims found inside the residence, all were currently living at the location. They have been identified as: 37-year-old Belin Hernandez, 34-year-old Marleny Pinto, 16-year-old Breylin Hernandez, 7-year-old Mike Hernandez, 5-year-old Marbely Hernandez, 32-year-old Eldor Hernandez Castillo, and 19-year-old Mariela Guzman Pinto.
According to a Facebook post from the Moorhead Police Department, the preliminary autopsy ruled out any obvious trauma, however blood samples have been sent to a lab for further examination.
Authorities are not actively seeking any suspects. The bodies were taken to the Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s Office in St. Paul, where autopsies will be conducted.