Duluth Community Continues Fundraising for Jay, Charity Game Canceled

Updated: July 11, 2020 10:54 PM

Basketball is the name of Jay Nick's game. The Duluth middle schooler plays in the area, but now he's battling a big opponent off the court, cancer.

Saturday was supposed to be a fundraiser for Jay, the 'We Play for Jay' charity basketball game. However, StayMelo Charity, the organizers of the match, made the tough decision to cancel due to coronavirus concerns.

Last year all donations for Jay were rasied at the game. However this year, people involved in the second annual match created a GoFundMe page to continue fundraising efforts online.

Organizer Quinton Coleman said it's been great to see the Duluth basketball community come together in support for Jay.

"He understood that we were right there with him and his family, and we're rallying around him...so I'm glad that he knows that we're right here and this is not the end of it either," said Coleman about Jay. "He's a soldier, he's a future Greyhound and I'm excited for him. I''m glad everything is going well and we're just going to stay with it, we're going to stay with it together."

Coleman added the charity game will return next year.

Donations can be made to the 'We Play for Jay' GoFundMe page through the end of the July, according to Coleman. 

All proceeds will go towards helping Jay and his family through his cancer battle. 
 

Copyright 2020 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement

MDH reports increase in overdose deaths

Search for suspect in drive-by shots fired incident on the Range

Athletes, coaches react to MSHSL decision to uphold delay in winter sports

14 deaths associated with COVID-19 reported at Superior Rehabilitation Center

Klobuchar discusses additional funding needed for COVID-19 vaccine distribution

Mid-State Truck Service donates hundreds of toys to Toys for Tots