Town of Superior House Fire Started by Novelty Lighter

A house fire was started when a mattress caught fire as a young child was playing with a lighter. A house fire was started when a mattress caught fire as a young child was playing with a lighter.  |  Photo: Town of Superior Fire Department

Updated: April 09, 2019 01:26 PM

The Town of Superior fire department says a house fire was caused by a young child playing with a lighter. 

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Crews were called to the 4100 block of County Road A just before 4:30 p.m. Monday afternoon. The occupants of the home attempted to put out the fire with a garden hose. Dispatchers handling the call requested the occupants to leave the home while waiting for crews to arrive, however they refused to leave.

Fire crews arrived on scene within nine minutes. Upon arrival, they found a single room on the main floor caught in a blaze. The fire was extinguished quickly, according to a release. 

Officials say the home owner closed to door to that room, which helped keep the flames contained, preventing it from spreading to other parts of the home. One male was taken to a local hospital for smoke inhalation and evaluation. 

Initial investigations reveal that the fire was started by a 6-year-old child who was playing with a novelty lighter in the bedroom, ingniting a mattress on fire. 

The Red Cross assisted the family overnight. Damage was estimated at $8,000.

Copyright 2019 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Relay Media Amp

Local Meteorologists Test their Knowledge with the Boys & Girls Club

Duluth Skaters Get Lesson From Cirque du Soleil Performers

Duluth Police Department Receives Active Shooter Response Gear

UMD Hosts Undergraduate Research and Artistic Showcase

Minn., Wis. Lawmakers React to Mueller Report

Mueller Report Says Trump Sought to Seize Control of Russia Probe