Advertisement

Minneapolis Man Pleads Guilty in Mall of America Attack Against Child

Associated Press
Created: May 14, 2019 10:55 AM

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The man accused of throwing a 5-year-old boy from a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America has pleaded guilty to attempted premeditated first-degree murder and faces 19 years in prison.
    
Emmanuel Aranda, of Minneapolis, admitted his guilt as part of a plea agreement Tuesday. As part of the deal, prosecutors agreed not to pursue an aggravated circumstances component to the charge that could have meant an additional year in prison for Aranda.
    
Authorities said earlier that Aranda told them he went to the mall on April 12 "looking for someone to kill" and chose the boy at random.
    
Aranda said little in court Tuesday, speaking only to give yes-or-no answers to questions about whether he understood what he was admitting.
    
The child suffered head trauma and multiple broken bones but survived.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Credits

Associated Press

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Advertisement
Advertisement

'Skate for 8' Raises Awareness on Mental Health in Honor of Duluth East Hockey Player

Cemetery Dedicated to Veterans in Moving Ceremony

DFL Leaders Host Cannabis Use Forum in Duluth

St. Luke's and MNA Reach Tentative Contract Agreement

Ex-Minnesota Mayor Suing Officers Who Arrested Him in 2017

35th Annual Fall Fest Postponed

Advertisement