Advertisement

Duluth JC Penney Temporarily Evacuated During Fire in Salon Area

The Duluth Fire Department says the JC Penney store in Duluth's Miller Hill Mall had to be temporarily evacuated during a dryer fire on Saturday afternoon. The Duluth Fire Department says the JC Penney store in Duluth's Miller Hill Mall had to be temporarily evacuated during a dryer fire on Saturday afternoon. |  Photo: WDIO-TV/File

Ryan Juntti
Updated: June 01, 2019 11:33 PM

The Duluth Fire Department says the JC Penney store in Duluth's Miller Hill Mall had to be temporarily evacuated during a fire in the salon area of the store on Saturday afternoon.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

The Duluth Fire Department says they responded to the salon area on the second level of the store around 3:45 to the report of smoke. There, crews found a small fire that the fire department says had started as a result of a segment disconnection in the metal dryer vent. The incidental lint build-up behind the wall and heat source from the dryer in use was the cause of fire, according to the fire department. 

Store staff and customers were allowed back into the building at about 4:45. The store was reopened, but the salon had to be closed for the day.     

The store sustained about $2,500 worth of damage and is necessary for repairs to the wall and dryer vent, according to the fire department.

There were no civilian or other injuries.

Duluth Fire Companies from Downtown, Duluth Heights, and Spirit Valley responded to the incident.

Credits

Ryan Juntti

Copyright 2019 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement
Advertisement

Fourth Family Joins Lawsuit Against Duluth Edison Charter Schools

Historic Bell on Display at Duluth Depot

Raising Awareness on Huntington's Disease in Duluth

Nice Weather Brings Thousands to Land of the Loon Festival

Duluth Duplex Sustains Estimated $30,000 of Damage in Fire

Target's Tech Trouble Clogs Stores with Long Checkout Lines

Advertisement