The project is expected to take three years, and officials say it is the largest private investment in city history.
Here is a list of what people can expect during the project:
- First Street will close from Fourth Avenue East to Seventh Avenue East.
- Fourth Avenue East will close from Superior Street to Second Street and become part of the construction site.
- The road closures will restrict access to the First Street Building.
- While the main entrance will remain open, Essentia is asking patients to use the entrance to the Duluth Clinic’s Second Street Building and then take the skywalk to the First Street Building.
Free valet parking launches
- To assist their patients, Essentia says they will begin offering free valet parking via the Second Street Building’s entrance at 502 E. Second St.
- Patients with appointments on the downtown campus can simply drop off their vehicles and pick them up later.
- Guest Services staff will be on hand to assist and direct patients.
- Our valet parking will operate from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Demolition to begin inside Amendola Building
- Demolition will begin inside the Amendola Building on Superior Street (demolition of the structure is scheduled to start Oct. 9).
- Crews will work their way up the hill to the Blue Ramp on East Second Street, which will close on Sept. 30 to be prepped for demolition in October.
- The skywalk between the Duluth Clinic’s First Street Building and city parking ramp will close for demolition.
- A construction crosswalk will allow pedestrians to cross Fourth Avenue East and walk along First Street to the clinic and to the First Street entrance to Essentia Health-Duluth and the Second Street Building.
Construction site fencing to go up
- Fencing will start to go up around the construction site.
More information about the project is available at: https://www.essentiahealth.org/vision-northland/
Information about construction-related parking updates is available at: www.essentiahealth.org/alerts/essentia-health-downtown-duluth-parking/