Advertisement

Esko School Evacuated over CO Levels

Updated: September 16, 2019 10:40 PM

Esko students were evacuated from the school around 9:40 Monday morning after higher than average levels of carbon monoxide were detected inside the building.  All of the students were evacuated safely to a nearby church while the Esko Fire Department and school officials investigated the situation.

Advertisement

Officials determined that a problem with a water heater caused carbon monoxide levels to rise.  Levels fell after the fire department aired out the building. The all clear was issued shortly after 11 a.m. and staff and students were allowed to return to school.  Classes will resume as scheduled.

Esko's fire chief, Kyle Gustafson, said it was the best possible end to the situation. "This is the way we like to see it go. Get the kids off-site, to a safe location, and clear the building. Then they can get back in and learn something new!"

He said they evaluated the students and staff and all were fine. Superintendent Aaron Fischer said no one reported feeling ill.

School officials want to thank the Esko Fire Department and Carlton County Sheriff's Office. Carlton Fire was also on scene.

Copyright 2019 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement
Advertisement

One Rescued from Burning Ashland Home

Fire Destroys House West of Cook

Ex-Wisconsin Football Player Formally Charged in 2 Killings

From Pictures to Portraits: Wild State Cider Hosts "Paint Your Pet Class"

Finnish Community Celebrates Kalevala Day

Iron County Sheriff's Office Reports Fatal Snowmobile Crash

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement