Advertisement

Man shot by deputy during raid settles suit for $6 million

Shawn Olthoff is seen in a photo provided by the Carlton County Sheriff's Office. Shawn Olthoff is seen in a photo provided by the Carlton County Sheriff's Office. | 

The Associated Press/Star Tribune
Created: September 29, 2020 09:11 AM

MOOSE LAKE, Minn. - A Minnesota man who was shot by a sheriff’s deputy during a raid last year has settled a federal lawsuit for about $6 million.

Advertisement

Thirty-five-year-old Shawn Olthoff was left paralyzed after a Carlton County deputy shot him during the raid at a Moose Lake home he shared with his mother.

Law enforcement officers had gone to the home to arrest Olthoff who was accused of pointing a gun at a deputy during a traffic stop just days before.

Three officers involved in the raid told investigators later that Olthoff was unarmed and raised his hands when ordered to do so. The fourth officer, Deputy Jason Warnygora, shot Olthoff and said he saw him with a handgun.  
 

Credits

The Associated Press/Star Tribune

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Respiratory Care Week: Respiratory therapists role during COVID-19 and beyond

Reminders about early voting and absentee ballot deadlines

Mesabi Preschool kids wear costumes to collect items for food shelf

Duluth schools to continue learning models through December

U.S. Steel looking at potential restart of Keetac

Minnesota COVID-19 Update Friday

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement