Advertisement

Candles Cited in 2 Separate Thunder Bay Fires

Candles Cited in 2 Separate Thunder Bay Fires

Created: April 10, 2019 04:04 PM

Fire officials are reminding the public about candle safety after two separate house fires caused by candles last week in Thunder Bay.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

One fire was started by an unattended candle, while the other began when a candle fell off a chest of drawers and rolled under a bed. Firefighters were able to contain both of the fire to the rooms of origin, but both houses are not inhabitable due to heat and smoke damage.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation and released.

"We’re very concerned about the latest string of fires caused by candles," Thunder Bay Fire Chief John Hay said in a news release. "These fires were totally preventable. Instead of candles, we recommend choosing CSA-approved battery-powered candles."

The fire department says candles should never be used in bedrooms and should be kept away from flammable items.  They should never be unattended.

Copyright 2019 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement
Advertisement
Relay Media Amp

Networking Event Introduces Local Talent to National Producers

Duluth Now Has Maternity Home For Pregnant, Homeless Women

Yoga for Runners Connects Body and Spirit

Longtime Grandma's Marathon Volunteer From Georgia Enjoys Helping with Event

Meeting Thursday about Rainbow Family Gathering

Law Enforcement Torch Run Passes Through Duluth

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement