Advertisement

Pentagon: No Planned Changes to Korean Military Exercises

Pentagon: No Planned Changes to Korean Military Exercises

LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press
Created: May 17, 2018 02:30 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon says there are no plans to change or reduce the scope of the ongoing military exercises between the U.S. and South Korea that triggered an angry reaction from North Korea, casting doubt on the planned summit with President Donald Trump next month.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White says the schedule of exercises hasn't changed. She says the annual exercises are long-planned, are defensive in nature and are meant to ensure the readiness of U.S. and South Korean forces.

Exercise Max Thunder began on Monday and concludes May 25. It includes aircraft from across the U.S. military services. Last year's exercise included roughly 1,200 U.S. personnel and about 640 South Koreans. This year's drill is similar.

Pyongyang has said it won't return to talks with Seoul due to the exercises.

Credits

LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Relay Media Amp

Local Organization Helping Preserve Historic Armory Building with Window Restorations

Man Dies When Duck-Hunting Boat Capsizes on Fox River

University of Madison Studying Placentas, Premature Births

Report: Wisconsin Has a Psychiatrist Shortage

Around 50 Tombstones Desecrated at Fort Frances, Ontario Cemetery

Community Members Partake in Out of the Darkness Walk for Suicide Awareness

Advertisement