Advertisement

US Going Ahead with Summit Plan Despite North Korean Threat

A South Korean news agency says the north has threatened to pull out of a U.S. summit because of military exercises. A South Korean news agency says the north has threatened to pull out of a U.S. summit because of military exercises. |  Photo: ABC News

Created: May 15, 2018 04:55 PM

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - The United States says it is going ahead with plans for the meeting between President Donald Trump and North Korea's Kim Jong Un.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

A spokeswoman for the U.S. State Department says the U.S. has not heard anything directly from Pyongyang or Seoul that would change that. Her comment came shortly after South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported that the North was threatening to cancel the summit because of ongoing military exercises between the U.S. and South Korea.

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert says Kim had previously indicated he understood the need and purpose of the U.S. continuing its long-planned joint exercises with South Korea.

Yonhap says the two-week military exercise between the U.S. and South Korea started Friday and included about 100 warplanes.

The news agency said North Korea also canceled a high-level meeting between the North and South.

The two Koreas were set to hold a meeting Wednesday at a border village to discuss setting up military and Red Cross talks to reduce border tension and restart reunions between families separated by the Korean War.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Relay Media Amp

9th Annual Hillfest Makes Way to Duluth

First Paddlefest Comes to Twin Ports

Informal "Tryout" Held for Upcoming RivALZ Flag Football Game

Duluth Children's Museum Hosts 10th Annual Bubble Festival

Cloquet Man Petitioning Re-entry To United States After Deportation

Wisconsin Commercial Fishing Operations Record Numbers

Advertisement