Created: January 05, 2022 02:02 PM
On January 1, according to the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office, a call regarding a fire in a fish house on Upper Red Lake in Waskish Township came in at approximately 12:39 p.m. According to the report, a propane tank had exploded within the fish house injuring four people.
The Sheriff's Office says while emergency personnel were responding, the injured people were taken to a nearby resort and two air ambulances were dispatched to the Waskish Airport. When authorities arrived, one man and a woman had already been taken to the airport to await the air transport. Authorities say a second male and female were being treated by emergency medical services at the resort for burn related injuries. The extent of the injuries and current condition of the people involved is unknown at this time.
The group said they had been using 20lb propane tanks and a heating mechanism inside the fish house when a hissing sound was heard. They told authorities a large fireball filled the fish house after the valves were closed on the tank.
According to the report, deputies located the rigid frame, wheeled portable fish house about 2.5 miles from shore on the northeast side of Upper Red Lake. Deputies reported several areas on the outside were burned or melted. Two propane tanks were located within the structure.
The Beltrami County Sheriff’s Office were assisted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Blackduck Ambulance, Bemidji Ambulance, Sanford AirMed, Kelliher Fire Department, Kelliher First Responders and bystanders.
Copyright 2022 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved