Fourth of July construction projects around Minnesota
The Fourth of July brings people together from all over, and that’s prompted MnDOT to send out a few reminders for motorists. Travelers are urged to plan ahead, expect delays and enjoy a safe, steady pace by driving the speed limit – particularly while driving through work zones.
More than 200 projects will be underway on Minnesota roads this construction season. While most work will be suspended over the July 4 holiday, work zones will remain in place for many projects. Motorists should also be aware that the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
Some of the highway projects around the state likely to affect weekend travel include:
- I-535/Blatnik Bridge in Duluth – Reduced to a single lane in each direction.
- Highway 194 in Hermantown – Detour. Highway 194/Midway Road intersection is closed. Watch for lane shifts and lane closures at the Highway 194/Highway 53 intersection.
- Highway 37 at County Road 7 in St. Louis County – Highway 37 is reduced to 35 mph speed limit with narrow, temporary lanes. St. Louis County Road 7 is closed to through traffic south of Highway 37 to Highway 16.
- Highway 2 Fosston to Erskine – Watch for closed lanes, reduced speed limit; expect delays.
- Highway 92 Zerkel – Detour. Closed between County Road 35 and Highway 200.
- Highway 71 Bemidji – Reduced speed limit, narrow lanes and lane shifts on Highway 71. Anne Street closed, detour at Highway 71.
- Highway 10 in Anoka – Reduced to one lane in each direction between Sunfish Lake Boulevard and Seventh Avenue; watch for several access changes at intersections. Highway 10 is also a single lane in Elk River, about eight miles north of this project.
- I-94 and I-35E in St. Paul – Lane restrictions and ramp closures.
- Highway 55 in Minneapolis – Southbound Highway 55/Hiawatha Avenue closed and detoured between Downtown Minneapolis and Cedar Avenue; includes the ramps from southbound I-35W and eastbound I-94.
- Highway 55 Minneapolis to Inver Grove Heights – Closed in both directions between Blue Gentian Road/Lexington Avenue and Mendota Heights Road. Eastbound Highway 55 closed between Highway 5 and Highway 13.
- Elk River – Highways 10, 101 and 169 are a single lane in each direction at the Highway 10/101/169 interchange; Highway 169 is a single lane in each direction at 197th Avenue; watch for narrow lanes and ramp changes.
- Highway 23 Foley to Milaca – Detour. Road closed between Foley and Milaca. Lane closures and lane shifts in Foley.
- Highway 15 Kimball – Detour. Road closed between Highway 55 and Willow Creek Road.
- Highway 27 Osakis – Detour. Road closed between County Road 51/County Road 82 in Osakis and Highway 71 south of Long Prairie.
- Highway 29 overpass near Glenwood – Detour. Road closed between Highway 28/29 in Glenwood and County Road 28.
- Highway 55 Wendell to MN/ND state line – Detour. Road closed between ND Highway 127 and Highway 9.
- Highway 200 Mahnomen to Roy Lake – Detour. Road closed east of Mahnomen to Roy Lake. Southern Minnesota
- Highway 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls – Reduced to single lane in each direction, lane closures, lane shifts, reduced speed limit; southbound exits within work zone can be accessed at Goodhue County Road 1.
- Highway 60 east to Zumbro Falls – Detour. Closed between Highway 52 and Highway 63; access detour at Highway 58 in Zumbrota.
- Highway 43 at Highway 61 in Winona – Lane closures and traffic congestion through work zone.
- Highway 14 New Ulm to Nicollet – Detour. Road is closed to through traffic.
- I-90 South Dakota border to east of Beaver Creek – Reduced to a single lane in each direction, watch for closed ramps, Beaver Creek Rest Area closed.
- Eastbound Highways 15/60 near Madelia – Detours, Highway 15/60 reduced to a single lane, watch for closed ramps.
- Highway 23 Paynesville to Richmond – Detour. Follow County Roads 33, 32 and 12.
- Highway 4 Cosmos to Grove City – Detour. Follow Highway 7, County Road 2 and Highway 12.