Advertisement

Anonymous Winner Claiming $1.5 Billion Mega Millions Jackpot

The South Carolina lottery says a single winner has stepped forward to claim the $1.5 billion Mega Millions jackpot from a drawing last October. The South Carolina lottery says a single winner has stepped forward to claim the $1.5 billion Mega Millions jackpot from a drawing last October. |  Photo: WDIO-TV

Created: March 04, 2019 04:22 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - The South Carolina lottery says a single winner has stepped forward to claim the $1.5 billion Mega Millions jackpot from a drawing last October.
    
A lottery commission statement says the person submitting the claim for what was the second-largest lottery in U.S. history has chosen to remain anonymous.
    
It adds that the winner has chosen the cash option, a one-time payment of nearly $878,000,000. It says that's the largest jackpot payout to a single winner in United States history.
    
The winning ticket was sold between Oct. 20 and Oct. 23 last year at a convenience store in Simpsonville, a suburb of the South Carolina city of Greenville.
    
For months, South Carolina residents had speculated on why the winner hadn't stepped forward. The winner had until April 19 to claim the prize.
 

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Relay Media Amp

Jury Finds Haywood Guilty for Role After Will Grahek's Murder

Wrenshall Holds Community Meeting on Proposed Referendum

Special Report: Delivering Babies and Blankets

Update to NRRI Taconite Tailings Pothole Patching

Grandma Jo Spreads Love and Cuddles in Essentia's NICU

Minnesotans for a Smoke-Free Generation Keep Working

Advertisement