Minnesota Press Conference: COVID-19 Stay at home order | www.WDIO.com

Minnesota Press Conference: COVID-19 Stay at home order

Created: March 25, 2020 02:43 PM

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz announced a "stay at home" order to slow the spread of the coronavirus in a press conference on Wednesday afteroon. The governor's order will limit movement beyond the home from Friday, March 27, at 11:59 p.m. to April 10.

Minnesotans can still leave home for health and safety activities, outdoor activities, the purchase of necessary supplies and services, the care of others, and relocation to ensure safety.

Walz says it is too late to "flatten the curve" of new cases. He says the objective now is to slow the infection rate down so hospital resources can handle it.

Walz had previously shuttered bars and restaurants. He announced Wednesday that the order will remain in place until 5 p.m. on May 1. Distance learning will also continue until May 4.

Elsewhere, a "safer at home" order took effect Wednesday in Wisconsin, while a "safe at home" order took effect Tuesday in Michigan.

Copyright 2020 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement

Major changes to I-35 traffic flow planned for Sept. 27

Hwy. 1 reopens, fire restrictions dropped

Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics Minnesota

Enrollment up at UWS, students excited about school

Senator Tomassoni's wife pleaded not guilty to domestic assault

Pfizer says COVID-19 vaccine works in kids ages 5 to 11