Photo: ABC News|
Photo: ABC News|
October 09, 2017 11:29 AM
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Florida Gov. Rick Scott said Sunday the federal government has issued an emergency declaration for Escambia and Santa Rosa counties in the Panhandle following Hurricane Nate. A similar declaration was issued for the state of Alabama.
Scott said that will allow the Federal Emergency Management Agency to provide any needed disaster assistance in the two counties, although there are no reports of major damage or deaths in the area.
As of midday Sunday about 6,800 electric customers were without power in Florida, the governor said.
Nate was a Category 1 hurricane when it came ashore outside Biloxi, Mississippi, early Sunday, its second landfall after initially hitting southeastern Louisiana on Saturday evening. The storm was downgraded to a tropical depression by midday Sunday.
Mississippi Gulf Coast casinos have been given the all-clear to reopen while the region recovers from Hurricane Nate.
The Mississippi Gaming Commission said on its website that coastal casinos were allowed to re-open as of 11:30 a.m. Sunday.
Closures were ordered Saturday as Nate approached.
The storm hit the coast with surges of up to 10 feet, and some casinos reported ground-level flooding.
Officials are assessing storm damage to the manmade beach that lines much of Mississippi's coast.
Harrison County Emergency Management Director Rupert Lacy said the process of cleaning sand and debris from beachfront U.S. 90 will take at least until Monday.
Damage to about 25 structures has been reported so far in Mississippi, and electricity was slowly being restored.
Hurricane Nate is the first hurricane to make a direct hit on the Louisiana and Mississippi since Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
Nate has brought stinging rain to the Gulf Coast and its powerful winds have pushed water onto roads. No deaths or injuries were immediately reported.
Created: October 09, 2017 11:29 AM
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.