Advertisement

Five Evacuated after CO Poisoning in Buhl

Five people have been taken to hospitals after a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Buhl. Five people have been taken to hospitals after a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Buhl. |  Photo: Northland FireWire

November 21, 2017 11:31 AM

Five people were taken to hospitals on Monday due to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at an Iron Range bar and the apartment above the business.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Buhl Fire Chief Joshua McDowell said the owner of Billy's Bar noticed the problem Monday morning and checked on her brother and his family, who live in the apartment above the bar. The chief says the owner, her brother, his wife, and two children under the age of 18 were taken to hospitals in Hibbing and Virginia.

"They've been sick for a couple days. So, they were thinking that this was just a flu, but it sounds like that it's been possibly been going on for a while. It just reached its peak," said McDowell.

The father of the family living in the upstairs apartment and one of his sons were taken to Fairview Range Medical Center are listed in stable condition.

A janitor who had been at the bar on Monday was also treated at the scene.

McDowell said the incident may have been caused by a faulty furnace or boiler. He said there may have been a slow leak because the family had been dealing with symptoms for a few days. The owner's brother works as a cook at the bar.

 


WDIO

Copyright 2017 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement
Advertisement
Relay Media Amp

ATV Goes through Ice on Rice Lake; 1 dead

Authorities Respond to ATV Accident on Rice Lake Road

Police Chief Discusses Concerns About Protective Riot Gear with Community

Chester Bowl Opens for Ski Season

1 Dead, 1 Injured from Snowmobile Accident

Brookston Residence Destroyed in Fire

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement