December 18, 2017 01:41 PM
January 11- 15
Duluth and Superior are honoring and celebrating the legacy of Civil Rights Movement leader, Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., in a series of tribute events coordinated by the Duluth Chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). These events are free and open to the public. The theme of the week is “A Birth of a New Nation,” which was taken from Dr. King’s 1957 sermon of the same title. In his sermon, Dr. King stated, “The aftermath of nonviolence is the creation of the beloved community. The aftermath of nonviolence is redemption. The aftermath of nonviolence is reconciliation.”
This year’s events will include the following:
• Mayoral Reception - Jan. 11 at 6 pm at American Indian Community Housing Organization 202 W 2nd St, Duluth, MN 55802 - The mayors of both Duluth and Superior will be in attendance.
• Rhythm & Hues Dinner and Performance - Jan. 12 at 5:30 pm Peace United Church - 1111 N 11th Ave E, Duluth, MN 55805
• Youth Nation (Youth and Families event) - Jan. 13 at 12 pm - 4 pm Denfeld High School - 401 N 44th Ave W, Duluth, MN 55807
• Inter-Faith Worship Service - Jan. 14 at 5 pm First Presbyterian Church of Duluth- 300 E 2nd St, Duluth, MN 55805
• Community Breakfast - Jan. 15 at 7:30 am Holy Family Catholic Church - 2430 W 3rd St, Duluth, MN 55806
• March - Jan. 15 Gathering at 10 am Washington Center - 310 N 1st Ave W, Duluth, MN 55806 & March begins at 11 AM
• Rally - Jan. 15 at 12 pm DECC - 350 Harbor Dr, Duluth, MN 55802 The 2018
Please visit the website for details at duluthnaacp.org/mlk.
Created: December 18, 2017 01:41 PM
Copyright 2017 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved