October 09, 2017 04:50 PM
November 10- 12
Lutsen and Grand Marais
Visitors who brave the onset of pre-winter will have front-row seats to the world’s largest freshwater fury at the fifth annual Lake Superior Storm Festival. This is the time of year when Lake Superior unleashes; the skies turn dark, pressure systems collide, causing howling wind, 15-foot waves to emerge, and icy waves lash on the rocks.
This year’s activities include:
Friday, November 10
• Taking Fashion by Storm Fashion Show. Come check out the latest and greatest stormy gear!
• Shipwreck presentation by local Jim Shinners.
• Storm Festival Presentation with international explorer Lonnie Dupre
• Call-In Trivia Radio Show on WTIP radio 90.7 FM. Try and answer these tricky Lake Superior and storm-themed questions.
Saturday, November 11
• Featured speaker, Mark Seely, well-known meteorologist for the University of Minnesota, will give a presentation on the effects of weather on Lake Superior.
• Annual Wave Dash at Lutsen Resort. This is a bit like a Polar Plunge into Lake Superior, but instead of jumping, you dash. Dashers get a special festival gift and can warm up afterwards with a roaring fire on the beach or even go in the Lutsen Resort hot tub.
• Hugh E. Bishop (author of “The Night the Fitz Went Down”) will speak about his book, and the research that went into it. • Painting Up a Storm class. Learn how to paint a stormy scene!
• “Spirits of Lake Superior” Shipwreck Dinner.
Created: October 09, 2017 04:50 PM
Copyright 2017 WDIO-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved