abc
QUICK LINKS:

Duluth Man Shocked by Power Line, Structure Fire Causes $20K in Damage

Updated: 08/13/2014 10:43 PM
Created: 08/13/2014 5:48 PM WDIO.com

A man was sent to the hospital after being shocked on top of a Duluth building Wednesday.

The Duluth Fire Department said the man was on the roof of the building housing "Impact Golf" on 21st Avenue West at about 2 p.m., when he came into contact with an overhead power line.

Bruce McLean lives upstairs. He said the victim was his landlord and the owner of Impact Golf, and that he was fixing some wiring.

"They took him to the hospital," McLean said. "He seemed fine, and about an hour and a half, two hours later, we smell smoke coming out. Next thing we know, we're calling the fire department again."

Fire officials said a fire broke out just before 3:40 p.m.

"About an hour later we had smoke visible coming out of the roof line," said Assistant Fire Chief Erik Simonson. "We found a smoldering fire down inside the roof and inside the wall cavity."

Simonson said the fire was contained right away but crews were on scene for about an hour. He said the man who was shocked had burns to his hands and arms, but had already been released from the hospital.

Simonson estimated the fire caused between $15,000 to $20,000 dollars in damage, mostly due to walls being torn down to put out the fire.

Front Page

 

Winter Storm Watch

MN AREAS AFFECTED: Northern Cook, Northern Lake; Southern Cook, North Shore; Southern Lake, North Shore
Expires: 12/22/2014 10:00 AM

Winter Weather Advisory

MN AREAS AFFECTED: Central St. Louis; North St. Louis
Expires: 12/22/2014 10:00 AM

Winter Weather Advisory

MN AREAS AFFECTED: Northern Cook, Northern Lake; Southern Cook, North Shore; Southern Lake, North Shore
Expires: 12/22/2014 10:00 AM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement