Updated: 08/13/2014 10:43 PM
Created: 08/13/2014 5:48 PM WDIO.com
A man was sent to the hospital after being shocked on top of a Duluth building Wednesday.
The Duluth Fire Department said the man was on the roof of the building housing "Impact Golf" on 21st Avenue West at about 2 p.m., when he came into contact with an overhead power line.
Bruce McLean lives upstairs. He said the victim was his landlord and the owner of Impact Golf, and that he was fixing some wiring.
"They took him to the hospital," McLean said. "He seemed fine, and about an hour and a half, two hours later, we smell smoke coming out. Next thing we know, we're calling the fire department again."
Fire officials said a fire broke out just before 3:40 p.m.
"About an hour later we had smoke visible coming out of the roof line," said Assistant Fire Chief Erik Simonson. "We found a smoldering fire down inside the roof and inside the wall cavity."
Simonson said the fire was contained right away but crews were on scene for about an hour. He said the man who was shocked had burns to his hands and arms, but had already been released from the hospital.
Simonson estimated the fire caused between $15,000 to $20,000 dollars in damage, mostly due to walls being torn down to put out the fire.
Sen. Franken Talks Mental Illness Crises and Criminal Justice with Northland Experts
Prisons and jails are increasingly becoming home to the mentally ill, but local law enforcement, judicial and mental health experts say a failed system means the mentally ill get wrapped up in a criminal justice system that doesn't have the resources to treat them....
Sen. Franken Applauds Northern Waters Smokehaus' Sick Leave Policy
After Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) met with local officials about mental health and crime, he visited the Northern Waters Smokehaus in Canal Park on Monday. There, Franken took a tour of the popular Duluth eatery and applauded the owner, Eric Goerdt, for providing paid sick leave for his workers.
Duluth School District Uses 'Think Kids' Meetings for Feedback
As a recent study showed the likelihood of stabilizing student enrollment numbers, the Duluth School District is taking time to hear community feedback during its annual "Think Kids" community conversation.
Study: Many Hockey Helmets are Unsafe
More than a quarter of all hockey helmets are unsafe, according to a new study from researchers at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. That goes for the helmets the pros wear and the helmets your kids wear.
Duluth KidsClub Hosts "Play Gym," Starts Planning Indoor Playground
Even though Monday's temperatures weren't too cold, we know that in Northern Minnesota that's not always the case. That's why one local organization created an indoor "Play Gym" for kids to move and interact, rain or shine!