abc
QUICK LINKS:

Minn. DNR Increases Target Wolf Harvest

Updated: 07/24/2014 12:22 PM
Created: 07/24/2014 12:18 PM WDIO.com

The Minnesota DNR is increasing the target harvest for this fall's wolf hunt from 250 to 280.

The department announced the increase Thursday and also said a total of 3,800 wolf hunting and trapping licenses will be available, which is 500 more than last year.  Hunters and trappers can apply for the licenses, which cost $30 for Minnesota residents and $250 for nonresidents, beginning Aug. 1.

The early wolf season will begin Saturday, Nov. 8, simultaneously with the deer season, with different end dates depending on the area.  The late season will begin Nov. 29 and continue until quotas are met or Jan. 31, whichever comes first.

The DNR says the latest population survey estimates that there were 2,423 wolves living in Minnesota this past winter, which is 212 more animals than estimated the previous winter.  The wolves lived in 470 packs in the northern half of the state.

Information on wolf hunting is available at www.mndnr.gov/hunting/wolf, while wolf management information is available at www.mndnr.gov/wolves.

Front Page

  • Vikings Place Adrian Peterson on Exempt List

    The move that will require Peterson to stay away from the team while he addresses child abuse charges.

  • Adrian Peterson (archive photo) Statement From Vikings Ownership Regarding Adrian Peterson

    Peterson will be placed on the Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list, which will require that he remain away from all team activities while allowing him to take care of his personal situation until the legal proceedings are resolved.

  • Police: Duluth Man Admitted to Killing Mother

    A 37-year-old man called police early Tuesday morning and told dispatchers to send officers to a Lincoln Park residence.  The man allegedly met officers at the door and told them they should arrest him because he just killed his mother.

  • Pine Co. Sheriff's Office Reports Children Missing

    The Pine County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's assistance in locating a man and two children who have not been seen since last week.  Authorities say 44-year-old Peter John Kunze and his two juvenile children failed to appear in court for a custody hearing on Friday and they are concerned for the children's welfare.

  • Matthew R. Reder and Jordyn A. Mazanec Runaway Teen Sought in Ironwood

    Jordyn A. Mazanec, 16, was last seen Monday in Ironwood after having a verbal disagreement during a phone call.  Mazanec's vehicle and cell phone were located near the Mt. Zion ski hill in Ironwood.

 

Freeze Warning

MI AREAS AFFECTED: Baraga; Dickinson; Gogebic; Iron; Ontonagon; Southern Houghton
Expires: 9/18/2014 10:00 AM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement