abc
QUICK LINKS:

Mille Lacs Night Fishing Ban to be Lifted

Updated: 07/14/2014 4:17 PM
Created: 07/14/2014 4:16 PM WDIO.com

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources says it will lift the ban on night fishing on Mille Lacs Lake next Monday.

DNR Deputy Commissioner Dave Schad says so few anglers have fished the big lake that the 42,900-pound harvest quota imposed this year on sport anglers isn't likely to be reached.

The ban was imposed just after the May walleye and northern pike opener. The DNR said the night ban was needed so the walleye harvest quota on Mille Lacs would not be exceeded.

But the Star Tribune reports resort owners contend the lake's tight harvest slot limit of two walleyes between 18 and 20 inches has kept anglers away. Those who have fished Mille Lacs have found walleye action slow, due to what the DNR says are plentiful perch and other forage fish in the lake.

___

Information from: Star Tribune

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Front Page

  • 6 from Minnesota Charged with Trying to Join Islamic State

    Authorities in Minnesota have charged six men they say attempted to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State group. A criminal complaint unsealed Monday charges the men with conspiring to provide and attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.

  • Former Death Row Inmate Shares Experiences During UMD Panel

    Nathson Fields, a Illinois man who spent a dozen years on death row, shared his story as part of a Death Penalty panel discussion at the University of Minnesota-Duluth Monday. 

  • Professional Team to Assist Proctor in Future Plan

    The city of Proctor will celebrate a big anniversary later this year, but rather than looking back on it's 120 years, the community is looking to the future with the help of a professional team...

  • Duluth Police Urge Caution as 'Nerf Wars' Heat Up

    A popular childhood toy is popping up again around local high schools, and it's causing quite the stir. The ever-growing "Nerf War" is taking the Northland by storm, and Duluth Police are noticing.

  • Tyler Joseph Bizal, 21, faces a second-degree assault charge after a stabbing in Duluth's Central Hillside neighborhood last Thursday. Assault Charge Filed in Duluth Stabbing

    Prosecutors have filed an assault charge against the suspect in a stabbing in Duluth's Central Hillside neighborhood last week. A criminal complaint alleges that 21-year-old Tyler Joseph Bizal stabbed 45-year-old Deland Christopher Johnson multiple times in the torso.

 
Advertisement