abc
QUICK LINKS:

Dayton Requests Federal Disaster Aid

Updated: 07/09/2014 12:14 PM
Created: 07/09/2014 12:12 PM WDIO.com

Gov. Mark Dayton is asking President Barack Obama to declare a major disaster for Minnesota after record rainfall led to flooding across much of the state, including Koochiching County, in June.

Dayton made the request Wednesday in a letter to President Obama.  Dayton said preliminary damage assessments have found the state reaches the threshold for federal aid even though only eight of the 51 affected counties have been formally assessed.

31 counties and one American Indian tribe have reported more than $55 million in response costs and uninsured damages to public infrastructure, mostly roads and bridges.

A presidential disaster declaration would allow counties, cities, townships, schools, and some non-profit groups to recoup the cost of debris removal, emergency protective services, and repair or replacement of roads, bridges, and other facilities.  The Federal Emergency Mangement Agency would fund 75 percent of the costs and the state would cover the other 25 percent under legislation approved earlier this year.

Also Wednesday, Gov. Dayton added 16 counties in the Twin Cities area and western Minnesota to his earlier peacetime state of emergency declaration, bringing the total number of counties covered by the declaration to 51.  Koochiching, St. Louis, and Beltrami counties were already on the list.

In a separate statement, Dayton announced that Minnesota would get up to $5 million in federal highway dollars to fix flood-damaged roads.

(Copyright 2014 WDIO-TV, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

FILE - Gov. Mark Dayton surveys flood-affected areas in Koochiching County.

Front Page

  • Alleged Wisc. Bank Robber in St. Louis County Jail

    A man was arrested in Duluth Saturday night after he allegedly robbed a bank in Eau Claire, Wisc. the night before. The Eau Claire Police Department responded to a bank robbery at Wells Fargo Bank in Eau Claire on Friday night.

  • Licenses, Deer Population Down for Wisconsin Deer Opener

    The Wisconsin firearm deer hunting tradition got off to a safe start as Department of Natural Resources officials said they had received no reports of accidental shootings or other injuries by mid-afternoon Sunday on the opener of the state's nine-day gun deer hunt.

  • Northlanders Give Back in Preparation for Holiday Season

    Northlanders gave back on Saturday in preparation for the holiday season. It was Family Volunteer Day at the Duluth Library, and folks participated in several friendly projects.

  • "By Us, For Us" Meeting to Discuss Vision for Equity in Duluth

    Duluth's Native and African heritage communities came together on Saturday to share experiences and ideas at the 1st United Methodist Church. The meeting called "By Us, For Us" invited people of color, African Americans and Native Americans to come together to break bread and learn about each other culturally. 

  • MNsure Enrollments, Renewals Approach 8,000

    Minnesota's health insurance exchange says it has enrolled nearly 8,000 Minnesotans in health plans in the first week of open enrollment this fall. The deadline for enrolling in coverage that takes effect Jan. 1 is Dec. 15.

 

Dense Fog Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Ashland; Bayfield; Burnett; Douglas; Iron; Price; Sawyer; Washburn
Expires: 11/24/2014 12:00 AM

Lake Effect Snow Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Bayfield; Douglas
Expires: 11/25/2014 6:00 AM

Lake Effect Snow Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Ashland
Expires: 11/25/2014 8:00 AM

Lake Effect Snow Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Iron
Expires: 11/25/2014 8:00 AM

Lake Effect Snow Advisory

MI AREAS AFFECTED: Gogebic; Ontonagon
Expires: 11/25/2014 7:00 AM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement