abc
QUICK LINKS:

TSA Introduces New Safety Measures for Electronics

Updated: 07/07/2014 10:33 PM
Created: 07/07/2014 8:35 PM WDIO.com
By: Briggs LeSavage
blesavage@wdio.com

Passengers at some of the 250 overseas airports that offer U.S.-bound flights will soon be required to power on their electronic devices in order to board their planes. The measure is intended to enhance aviation security at a time of increased threats.

The Transportation Security Administration states devices- such as cell phones, laptops and iPads- that won't power up won't be allowed on planes and those travelers may have to undergo additional screening.

Paul Anderson traveled to Duluth on business Monday and said he sees this new order as an inconvenience. 

"I can't really see what the point is. With them saying, 'if it can't be turned on, you have to leave it there,' then they're going to get a lot of backlash on it," Anderson said. 

He said many who travel for work won't be happy with this new order. 

"My laptop is my job. I can't do my job without it," Anderson said. "If I couldn't turn it on and they said well you can't board or leave it here, then I wouldn't be boarding the plane. Therefore, that would impact the business I'm involved in."

American intelligence officials have been concerned about new al-Qaida efforts to produce a bomb that would go undetected through airport security. There is no indication that such a bomb has been created or that there's a specific threat to the U.S.

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson told ABC News, "I believe we have taken the appropriate measures to deal with the existing situation and not necessarily burden the traveling public. 

Duluth resident Luke Laessig said he doesn't see it as a burden at all. 

"I think that's a good idea," Laessig said. "If they have to do more things to make sure that we're safe when we're flying, then that's important. Turning on my phone, I can do that. That's not a problem."

The Obama administration states this order is meant to help anticipate a possible future attack and not just react to the last one. 

Front Page

  • Charge Against Woman in Arrest Video Dismissed

    A judge has dismissed a charge against a woman seen in a video of a controversial Superior arrest.  At a hearing Friday, Judge Kelly Thimm approved a motion to dismiss a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge against Natasha Lancour.

  • Justin's 2014-2015 Winter Prediction

    Winter is right around the corner and the question on everybody's mind is will we have a winter like last year.  With record stretches of cold and record snowfall last year is one we one like to forget. Chief meteorologist Justin Liles lets us know what we can expect this year

  • Woman in Douglas Co. Shootout was found Unresponsive in House Fire Day Before

    A 22-year-old Lake Nebagamon woman was hospitalized on Wednesday evening after an armed standoff with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. On Tuesday, authorities say that same woman was found by her neighbors unresponsive and not breathing after they saw flames coming from a downtown Lake Nebagamon home. 

  • Funding for Military Funeral Personnel Restored

    On Thursday, Rep. Rick Nolan received a letter from the Secretary of the Army that funding for the playing of "Taps," a rifle salute, and delivering a folded American flag will be restored.

  • Preparing for Ebola: Health System Working Together

    People who work in the Northland's health system are communicating on a regular basis, to prepare for Ebola, even though it's unlikely to appear here.

 

Lake Effect Snow Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Ashland; Iron
Expires: 10/31/2014 1:00 PM

Lake Effect Snow Advisory

MI AREAS AFFECTED: Gogebic
Expires: 10/31/2014 2:00 PM

Lakeshore Flood Advisory

MI AREAS AFFECTED: Alger; Baraga; Gogebic; Houghton; Keweenaw; Marquette; Ontonagon
Expires: 10/31/2014 2:00 PM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement