abc
QUICK LINKS:

16,000 Minnesotans Without Health Insurance Due to State Error

Updated: 07/03/2014 8:48 PM
Created: 07/03/2014 10:59 AM WDIO.com

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - About 16,000 Minnesotans who applied for medical assistance through MNsure still aren't getting coverage due to state errors in processing their applications.

The Star Tribune reports the affected customers had problems with their original applications. But letters notifying them of the problems never got sent out - so they didn't know they had to provide additional information.

Department of Human Services Deputy Commissioner Chuck Johnson called it a "serious error."

The problems were discovered in January. But officials learned late last week that the issue wasn't resolved and many people were never told their applications were incomplete.

More than 149,000 low-income Minnesotans used MNsure to apply for medical assistance. This situation marks the latest misstep as state officials try to get coverage for as many people as possible.

___

Information from: Star Tribune

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
 

Front Page

  • US and Partners Begin Airstrikes in Syria

    The aerial effort against the extremist group Islamic State has been expanded from Iraq into Syria. The Pentagon says the operation involves warplanes from the U.S. and its partners.

  • Ebola Worker with Northland Ties Killed in Guinea

    A pastor and clinic administrator with ties in Duluth was killed in Guinea last week. Moses Mamy was part of an Ebola awareness team traveling from village to village. When they reached Womey last Tuesday, residents attacked and killed Mamy and seven others. Mamy's friends say he will be remembered for "his generous heart."

  • Saint Louis County Board Forum Gets Heated

    There were some tense moments during a candidate forum for the Saint Louis County Board Monday. Two sets of candidates answered some tough questions during the forum set up by the Duluth News Tribune. In District One, Jim Booth is challenging incumbent Frank Jewell. Former state legislator Tom Rukavina and Christina Hujanen are fighting for the District Four seat.

  • Duluth City Council Approves Maximum Tax Levy Increase

    Duluth City councilors voted 5-4 to approve a maximum tax levy increase for 2015, but not without making some changes first. 

  • City Councilor Joins Growing Field Vying for Superior Mayor

    City Councilor Mike Herrick made the official announcement on Monday night. He says his campaign will focus on continuing to grow the city, keeping young people in the city, and making Superior more business-friendly. 

 
Advertisement