abc
QUICK LINKS:

Dayton Declares Emergency, Sends Soldiers to Koochiching Co.

Updated: 06/19/2014 1:49 PM
Created: 06/19/2014 12:47 PM WDIO.com

Governor Mark Dayton has declared a state of emergency in 35 Minnesota counties, including St. Louis, Koochiching, and Beltrami, and directed the Minnesota National Guard to send soldiers to Koochiching County in response to recent flooding.

The guard will send 100 soldiers to storm-affected areas of Koochiching County.  Water levels on the Rainy River, Rainy Lake, and other waterways have been rising for the past week to historic levels.  Gov. Dayton visited the area on Tuesday.

The soldiers are from the Cloquet-based Troop C, 1st Squadron, 94th Cavalry.  They began to check in at the Cloquet Armory Thursday and will deploy to International Falls on Friday.

The State Emergency Operations Center, which was partially activated earlier this week, is now being fully activated.  State agencies work out of the center to monitor conditions around the state and respond to requests for state resources.

Counties covered by Dayton's State of Emergency include Beltrami, Blue Earth, Brown, Dodge, Faribault, Freeborn, Goodhue, Grant, Hubbard, Jackson, Lake of the Woods, Le Sueur, Lyon, Koochiching, McLeod, Morrison, Mower, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Olmsted, Otter Tail, Pipestone, Ramsey, Redwood, Renville, Rice, Rock, Roseau, Saint Louis, Scott, Sibley, Steele, Todd, and Waseca.

Pfc. Nick Murphy from Duluth, Minn., Pvt. Tyler Gudmundson from North Branch, Minn., and Pvt. Kyle Russ from Ely, Minn., check in at the Cloquet Armory June 19, to prepare to mobilize to International Falls to support flood response efforts.
Photo by Cadet Jarad Weeks, Minn. National Guard
Gov. Mark Dayton surveys flood-affected areas in Koochiching County on Tuesday.

Front Page

  • Woman Hospitalized after Armed Standoff with Deputies in Douglas County

    A 22-year-old Lake Nebagamon woman was hospitalized on Wednesday evening after an armed standoff with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. 

  • City of Tower Starts Dredging on Multi-Million-Dollar Harbor Project

    The City of Tower is starting a new phase of an old dream. Back in June, WDIO's sister station KSTP reported that Tower's multi-million-dollar Harbor Renaissance Project hadn't gone anywhere in seven years. But Wednesday, the City said they're moving forward.

  • Minnesota Food Charter Launched at DECC

    Around five hundred people flocked to the DECC for the Minnesota Statewide Food Access Summit. One of the big events? The launch of the of the Minnesota Food Charter. Only four other states have a food charter, but Food Charter Steering Committee Chair Mindy Kurzer said number five is unique.

  • Bong Bridge to Reopen Friday

    The Duluth-bound lanes of the Richard I. Bong Bridge are expected to reopen Friday morning after a summer of construction.  Superior-bound lanes have remained open this year but will be closed next year.

  • TV Campaign Ads Make Wealth an Issue in Minn. Election

    It seems an hour doesn't go by without several television campaign ads criticizing a candidate for having millions of dollars or trying to line his or her pockets at government expense. Class warfare is nothing new in politics, but it certainly is more pronounced in Minnesota this year because of two Republican candidates: Stewart Mills and Mike McFadden. They've been the target of a barrage of attack ads aimed at their personal wealth and how they accumulated it.

 

Lake Effect Snow Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Iron
Expires: 10/31/2014 11:00 AM

Lake Effect Snow Advisory

MI AREAS AFFECTED: Gogebic; Houghton; Keweenaw; Ontonagon; Southern Houghton
Expires: 10/31/2014 12:00 PM

Lakeshore Flood Advisory

MI AREAS AFFECTED: Alger; Baraga; Gogebic; Houghton; Keweenaw; Marquette; Ontonagon
Expires: 10/31/2014 2:00 PM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement