Updated: 06/17/2014 11:42 PM
Created: 06/17/2014 11:39 PM WDIO.com
By: Zach Hammer
A plan to add a new $9 million hotel to Superior's waterfront moved forward Tuesday night, but not without a few objections from the proposed site's neighbors.
The new Hampton Inn and Suites is in the works to be built between the Perkins Restaurant and the Richard I. Bong on East Second Street.
Tuesday, the Superior City Council approved a resolution regarding the project area boundaries, and another referring it for tax increment financing - both unanimously.
The project is not receiving unanimous support from everyone, however.
A couple homeowners were on hand to tell councilors the new development would block their view of the harbor.
"I purchased my home mainly because of the view," explained Matt Miller. "It's right across Highways 2 and 53 from the bay there. I can look out my front window and see Park Point, see Barkers Island, it's just beautiful."
Miller is concerned that his property value would decrease without that view, and essentially lose money if this project goes through. He said he is happy for Superior to have this new development in the works, but wanted councilors to put a face to those affected.
"Not everyone's going to be happy," said Planning Port Director Jason Serck. "But we're going to see if we can compromise and make some decisions that make at least some people happy... and other people not... maybe make the developers not happy. That's compromise."
Serck says Tuesday's vote is just the beginning of a long process, and many more public meetings will be held before the City of Superior signs off on the groundbreaking. That final approval, he expects, will happen in late August or the beginning of September.
Duluth-based ZMC Hotels hopes to break ground late this summer and have the hotel open as early as July 2015.
Charge Against Superior Woman in Controversial Arrest Video Dismissed
A judge has dismissed a charge against a woman seen in a video of a controversial Superior arrest. At a hearing Friday, Judge Kelly Thimm approved a motion to dismiss a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge against Natasha Lancour.
Three Attempted Murder Charges Filed Against Woman in Douglas Co. Shootout
Twenty two-year old Jessica Gehl of Lake Nebagamon was charged with three counts of attempted first degree intentional murder Friday after she allegedly pulled a gun on her mother and then opened fire on authorities Wednesday. Gehl was also charged with first-degree recklessly endangering safety.
Reinert 'Strongly Considering' Running for Duluth Mayor
When Duluth Mayor Don Ness announced earlier this month that he would not seek re-election, many people were surprised. On Friday, Sen. Roger Reinert said he is strongly considering entering the race.
Dayton, Johnson Show Fire in Final Governor Debate
Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton and Republican nominee Jeff Johnson ended their series of debates Friday much like they began, with the incumbent hailing big-picture successes and his rival saying too many things went awry over the past four years.
KSTP/SurveyUSA: Health Care, Taxes Most Important to Voters
When it comes to making choices for political candidates on Election Day, Minnesota voters say health care and taxes are the issues most important to them.