abc
QUICK LINKS:

Trial Date Set for Superior Woman Involved in Controversial Arrest

Updated: 06/04/2014 10:53 PM
Created: 06/04/2014 5:47 PM WDIO.com

The Douglas County district attorney filed two motions on Wednesday in the case against a Superior woman involved in a controversial arrest who is now facing a charge of disorderly conduct.

The first motion regards the "dashcam" video from an altercation between Natasha Lancour and Officer George Gothner outside of the Keyport Lounge in Superior the night of Jan. 5.

Douglas County DA Daniel Blank made a motion to stop the video before the physical incident on the hood of the cop car. He said the focus should remain on Lancour's actions and the beginning of the video is what's relevant to that charge.

"The charge about Ms. Lancour is disorderly conduct for what she did before and when the police arrive, not what she did in the hands of the officer," said Blank. "Let's focus the evidence on Ms. Lancour's conduct that got the attention of the officers that got her grabbed."

The second motion is the admission of her statement in the presence of the police officers prior to Gothner's arrival on the scene.

"My allegation is she was disorderly," said Blank. "How she was acting, what she was saying, who she was saying it to should be admissible evidence and then we draw the line of when the focus turns on Officer Gothner."

"Well obviously he doesn't want to show a video of a cop beating on my client," said Rick Gondik, defense attorney for Lancour. "Our argument is, look, you can't have a little bit. If you want it all, your going to get it all. It you want a little, you shouldn't get any. It's pretty clear why he's trying to keep that video out."

Meanwhile, Gondik has indicated he may file a civil suit against Gothner on Lancour's behalf, but he hasn't yet.

The trial is set to start July 22.

Front Page

  • 6 from Minnesota Charged with Trying to Join Islamic State

    Authorities in Minnesota have charged six men they say attempted to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State group. A criminal complaint unsealed Monday charges the men with conspiring to provide and attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.

  • Former Death Row Inmate Shares Experiences During UMD Panel

    Nathson Fields, a Illinois man who spent a dozen years on death row, shared his story as part of a Death Penalty panel discussion at the University of Minnesota-Duluth Monday. 

  • Professional Team to Assist Proctor in Future Plan

    The city of Proctor will celebrate a big anniversary later this year, but rather than looking back on it's 120 years, the community is looking to the future with the help of a professional team...

  • Duluth Police Urge Caution as 'Nerf Wars' Heat Up

    A popular childhood toy is popping up again around local high schools, and it's causing quite the stir. The ever-growing "Nerf War" is taking the Northland by storm, and Duluth Police are noticing.

  • Tyler Joseph Bizal, 21, faces a second-degree assault charge after a stabbing in Duluth's Central Hillside neighborhood last Thursday. Assault Charge Filed in Duluth Stabbing

    Prosecutors have filed an assault charge against the suspect in a stabbing in Duluth's Central Hillside neighborhood last week. A criminal complaint alleges that 21-year-old Tyler Joseph Bizal stabbed 45-year-old Deland Christopher Johnson multiple times in the torso.

 
Advertisement