Updated: 04/22/2014 11:08 PM
Created: 04/22/2014 11:05 PM WDIO.com
By: Beth McDonough
The Little Falls man who shot and killed two teens that broke into his home on Thanksgiving Day in 2012 looked away as prosecutors played an audio clip of the shootings during the trial Tuesday.
It was a homemade recording inside Byron Smith's home. The hand held device was next to Smith's chair during the shootings. Smith didn't turn it over to police, or even tell them about it. Investigators found the evidence while searching Smith's home the day after the shootings. Although it was 6 hours long, 14 minutes of the audio clip were played in court Tuesday.
It revealed glass breaking, footsteps and gunfire. Smith could be heard saying "you're dead." A few minutes later, another set of footsteps are heard, followed by a gunshot. Smith then said "Oh sorry about that," and swears.
The parents of both victims were present during the morning portion of the trial Tuesday.
At midday, Smith's defense attorney Steve Meshbesher asked for a mistrial based on a prosecutor's statement to the media. The judge refused. Smith faces first-degree premeditated murder charges in the deaths of 17-year-old Nick Brady and 18-year-old Haile Kifer in the small central Minnesota town of Little Falls.
Meshbesher says Smith's home had been targeted a dozen times by burglars, who took valuables and guns. Meshbesher highlighted one break-in about a month before the shootings in which someone kicked in a door.
He says Smith was terrified and had begun wearing a holster and pistol around the house.
However, prosecutors say Smith went beyond self-defense and shooting and killing the teens after they were no longer a threat. Meshbesher argues Smith's actions were lawful and what happened is tragic but not murder.
Testimony is expected to resume at 9 a.m. Wednesday.
Woman Hospitalized after Armed Standoff with Deputies in Douglas County
A 22-year-old Lake Nebagamon woman was hospitalized on Wednesday evening after an armed standoff with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.
City of Tower Starts Dredging on Multi-Million-Dollar Harbor Project
The City of Tower is starting a new phase of an old dream. Back in June, WDIO's sister station KSTP reported that Tower's multi-million-dollar Harbor Renaissance Project hadn't gone anywhere in seven years. But Wednesday, the City said they're moving forward.
Minnesota Food Charter Launched at DECC
Around five hundred people flocked to the DECC for the Minnesota Statewide Food Access Summit. One of the big events? The launch of the of the Minnesota Food Charter. Only four other states have a food charter, but Food Charter Steering Committee Chair Mindy Kurzer said number five is unique.
Bong Bridge to Reopen Friday
The Duluth-bound lanes of the Richard I. Bong Bridge are expected to reopen Friday morning after a summer of construction. Superior-bound lanes have remained open this year but will be closed next year.
TV Campaign Ads Make Wealth an Issue in Minn. Election
It seems an hour doesn't go by without several television campaign ads criticizing a candidate for having millions of dollars or trying to line his or her pockets at government expense. Class warfare is nothing new in politics, but it certainly is more pronounced in Minnesota this year because of two Republican candidates: Stewart Mills and Mike McFadden. They've been the target of a barrage of attack ads aimed at their personal wealth and how they accumulated it.