Updated: 04/11/2014 3:45 PM
Created: 04/11/2014 3:21 PM WDIO.com
It happens every year, the spring melt. Warmer temperatures have melted the snow pack causing flooding on area roads. Crews have temporarily closed three roads due to flooding. An additional 10 roads have warning signs posted by them. Crews want to remind motorists to use caution due to water on the road.
According to St. Louis County Public Works, roads included in the closure are:
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township is closed between Dart Road and Watsula Road. Traffic may divert around this area on County Road 193 and County Road 740.
• County Road 748 (Jones Road) in Great Scott Township is closed between County State Aid Highway 25 and Country Road. Traffic may divert around this area to the north on County Road 457 and to the south on County Road 925.
• County Road 430 (Burghardt Road) in Angora Township is closed a half mile south of State Highway 1. Traffic may divert around this area on South County Road 430 to County Road 467.
Meanwhile, the following roads have water on them, but are considered passable and remain open at this time. Signs are posted at these locations identifying there is water on the roadway. Motorists are urged to use caution.
• CSAH 86 (Hingley Road) in Fine Lakes Township, about 1.5 miles east of State Highway 73.
• CSAH 8 (Floodwood Road) in Arrowhead Township, one mile west of the railroad tracks.
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township between Watsula Road and County Road 193.
• CSAH 5 North in Toivola Township near intersection of County Road 817.
• County Road 442 (South Townline Road) in Hibbing between State Highway 73 and Bunker Road.
• County Road 955 (Wolf Road) in Clinton Township from CSAH 101 on the north side to County Road 315 on the south side.
• County Road 464 (Day Lake Road) in Hibbing between County Road 710 and County Road 714.
• Unorganized Township (UT) road 8114 (Brown Rd) east of Angora Township, south of State Hwy 1.
• CSAH 24 in Beatty Township, one quarter mile north of Kennedy Road. • County Road 431 (Vermilion Lake Road) in Owens Township north of CSAH 115.
Public Works crews are monitoring these and other roads throughout the County, however motorists should remember that road conditions and water depth can change rapidly. Anyone who encounters a dangerous road condition is asked to call 9-1-1.
Labor Day Draws Heavy Tourism to Twin Ports
While more Americans are expected to hit the road for Labor Day weekend, Duluth is hoping to see its own increase in tourism numbers. Although gas prices are on the decline, some increases in travel-related expenses are encouraging vacationing families to pay attention to their budgets.
Minnesota Gas Prices Down from Last Year
Gas prices in Minnesota are lower than they were during the Labor Day weekend last year, and analysts say they could fall even further heading into the fall.
Grand Rapids Police Chief Leaves Post, City Agrees to Separation
The City of Grand Rapids and its police chief have agreed to part ways. A city councilor said the vote was unanimous at a meeting last Monday. Former Police Chief Jim Denny has been with the Grand Rapids Police Department since 1999.
Woman Hit by 2 Cars, Killed in Mille Lacs County
The Minnesota State Patrol says a 57-year-old woman died after she was hit by two vehicles in Mille Lacs County.
State Fair Visitors Eat Up Lots of Wireless Data
On top of corn dogs and fried cheese curds, visitors to the Minnesota State Fair are also eating up a lot of wireless data.