Updated: 04/11/2014 3:45 PM
Created: 04/11/2014 3:21 PM WDIO.com
It happens every year, the spring melt. Warmer temperatures have melted the snow pack causing flooding on area roads. Crews have temporarily closed three roads due to flooding. An additional 10 roads have warning signs posted by them. Crews want to remind motorists to use caution due to water on the road.
According to St. Louis County Public Works, roads included in the closure are:
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township is closed between Dart Road and Watsula Road. Traffic may divert around this area on County Road 193 and County Road 740.
• County Road 748 (Jones Road) in Great Scott Township is closed between County State Aid Highway 25 and Country Road. Traffic may divert around this area to the north on County Road 457 and to the south on County Road 925.
• County Road 430 (Burghardt Road) in Angora Township is closed a half mile south of State Highway 1. Traffic may divert around this area on South County Road 430 to County Road 467.
Meanwhile, the following roads have water on them, but are considered passable and remain open at this time. Signs are posted at these locations identifying there is water on the roadway. Motorists are urged to use caution.
• CSAH 86 (Hingley Road) in Fine Lakes Township, about 1.5 miles east of State Highway 73.
• CSAH 8 (Floodwood Road) in Arrowhead Township, one mile west of the railroad tracks.
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township between Watsula Road and County Road 193.
• CSAH 5 North in Toivola Township near intersection of County Road 817.
• County Road 442 (South Townline Road) in Hibbing between State Highway 73 and Bunker Road.
• County Road 955 (Wolf Road) in Clinton Township from CSAH 101 on the north side to County Road 315 on the south side.
• County Road 464 (Day Lake Road) in Hibbing between County Road 710 and County Road 714.
• Unorganized Township (UT) road 8114 (Brown Rd) east of Angora Township, south of State Hwy 1.
• CSAH 24 in Beatty Township, one quarter mile north of Kennedy Road. • County Road 431 (Vermilion Lake Road) in Owens Township north of CSAH 115.
Public Works crews are monitoring these and other roads throughout the County, however motorists should remember that road conditions and water depth can change rapidly. Anyone who encounters a dangerous road condition is asked to call 9-1-1.
St. Louis County Cracks Down on Smoking in Child Care Homes
Although most child care providers don't allow smoking in their homes already, St. Louis County created a rule to make sure it stays that way. On January 1st, all licensed family child care homes in St. Louis County will be completely smoke free 24 hours a day, seven days a week, regardless of whether children are present or not.
Remembering Sally: Co-workers Honor West Duluth Stabbing Victim
Coworkers of 75-year old Sally Marie Pionk shared their memories of their "dedicated" and "hardworking" friend Wednesday.
Truck Goes Through Intersection, Crashes into Front Entrance of Red Mug Coffeehouse
Just before 8 p.m., the truck went through the intersection of Broadway Street and Hammond Avenue and struck the entrance of the Red Mug Coffeehouse and Bake Shop. No patrons were using the door at the time of the accident and no pedestrians were injured, according to Sgt. Adam Poskozim.
Trucking Company Rolls Through Country Honoring Vets
A Northland trucking company is honoring America's vets in a very mobile way. Halvor Lines has dedicated one of its rigs to be decorated as a rolling tribute to veterans. The truck just returned from its maiden voyage to Arlington National Cemetery.
Nolan Praises Cuba Policy, Plans Trip
A Minnesota congressman who has long advocated for changes to the United States' Cuba policy says a decision to normalize relations with the island country is a "monumental step" in the right direction.