Updated: 04/11/2014 3:45 PM
Created: 04/11/2014 3:21 PM WDIO.com
It happens every year, the spring melt. Warmer temperatures have melted the snow pack causing flooding on area roads. Crews have temporarily closed three roads due to flooding. An additional 10 roads have warning signs posted by them. Crews want to remind motorists to use caution due to water on the road.
According to St. Louis County Public Works, roads included in the closure are:
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township is closed between Dart Road and Watsula Road. Traffic may divert around this area on County Road 193 and County Road 740.
• County Road 748 (Jones Road) in Great Scott Township is closed between County State Aid Highway 25 and Country Road. Traffic may divert around this area to the north on County Road 457 and to the south on County Road 925.
• County Road 430 (Burghardt Road) in Angora Township is closed a half mile south of State Highway 1. Traffic may divert around this area on South County Road 430 to County Road 467.
Meanwhile, the following roads have water on them, but are considered passable and remain open at this time. Signs are posted at these locations identifying there is water on the roadway. Motorists are urged to use caution.
• CSAH 86 (Hingley Road) in Fine Lakes Township, about 1.5 miles east of State Highway 73.
• CSAH 8 (Floodwood Road) in Arrowhead Township, one mile west of the railroad tracks.
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township between Watsula Road and County Road 193.
• CSAH 5 North in Toivola Township near intersection of County Road 817.
• County Road 442 (South Townline Road) in Hibbing between State Highway 73 and Bunker Road.
• County Road 955 (Wolf Road) in Clinton Township from CSAH 101 on the north side to County Road 315 on the south side.
• County Road 464 (Day Lake Road) in Hibbing between County Road 710 and County Road 714.
• Unorganized Township (UT) road 8114 (Brown Rd) east of Angora Township, south of State Hwy 1.
• CSAH 24 in Beatty Township, one quarter mile north of Kennedy Road. • County Road 431 (Vermilion Lake Road) in Owens Township north of CSAH 115.
Public Works crews are monitoring these and other roads throughout the County, however motorists should remember that road conditions and water depth can change rapidly. Anyone who encounters a dangerous road condition is asked to call 9-1-1.
Body Cameras Aim to Hold Duluth Police, Community Members Accountable
Duluth is on the forefront of a nationwide movement toward the use of body cameras. Now after five months of using the technology, Duluth Police and community members alike say they are both helpful — and have some hiccups.
Sawyer Co. Homicide Charge Dropped
Prosecutors have dropped a homicide charge against a man in the death of his wife at a Sawyer County cabin after further investigation yielded more evidence. The charge against Cade G. Clark, 26, was dropped during a hearing on Wednesday.
Supporters Hold Rally for UMD Coaches
Supporters for Shannon Miller and the rest of the UMD women's hockey staff rallied on campus Wednesday morning. This comes in reaction to Monday's announcement of UMD deciding not to extend the coaches' contracts.
Local Moviegoers Weigh In on 'The Interview' Cancellation
After a cyber attack against a major Hollywood studio, the screening of the controversial comedy "The Interview" has been canceled at theaters across the United States including locally at Duluth 10. Sony's decision to cancel the film's release comes after hackers broke into the company's computer system and threatened to attack U.S. theaters.
Final IRRRB Meeting for Outgoing Commissioner Tony Sertich
IRRRB Commissioner Tony Sertich says farewell at his final meeting, which was quite a busy one.