Updated: 04/11/2014 3:45 PM
Created: 04/11/2014 3:21 PM WDIO.com
It happens every year, the spring melt. Warmer temperatures have melted the snow pack causing flooding on area roads. Crews have temporarily closed three roads due to flooding. An additional 10 roads have warning signs posted by them. Crews want to remind motorists to use caution due to water on the road.
According to St. Louis County Public Works, roads included in the closure are:
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township is closed between Dart Road and Watsula Road. Traffic may divert around this area on County Road 193 and County Road 740.
• County Road 748 (Jones Road) in Great Scott Township is closed between County State Aid Highway 25 and Country Road. Traffic may divert around this area to the north on County Road 457 and to the south on County Road 925.
• County Road 430 (Burghardt Road) in Angora Township is closed a half mile south of State Highway 1. Traffic may divert around this area on South County Road 430 to County Road 467.
Meanwhile, the following roads have water on them, but are considered passable and remain open at this time. Signs are posted at these locations identifying there is water on the roadway. Motorists are urged to use caution.
• CSAH 86 (Hingley Road) in Fine Lakes Township, about 1.5 miles east of State Highway 73.
• CSAH 8 (Floodwood Road) in Arrowhead Township, one mile west of the railroad tracks.
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township between Watsula Road and County Road 193.
• CSAH 5 North in Toivola Township near intersection of County Road 817.
• County Road 442 (South Townline Road) in Hibbing between State Highway 73 and Bunker Road.
• County Road 955 (Wolf Road) in Clinton Township from CSAH 101 on the north side to County Road 315 on the south side.
• County Road 464 (Day Lake Road) in Hibbing between County Road 710 and County Road 714.
• Unorganized Township (UT) road 8114 (Brown Rd) east of Angora Township, south of State Hwy 1.
• CSAH 24 in Beatty Township, one quarter mile north of Kennedy Road. • County Road 431 (Vermilion Lake Road) in Owens Township north of CSAH 115.
Public Works crews are monitoring these and other roads throughout the County, however motorists should remember that road conditions and water depth can change rapidly. Anyone who encounters a dangerous road condition is asked to call 9-1-1.
Cloquet Officer, Nurse Killed in Head-On Crash
An off-duty police officer and a nurse were killed when their vehicles collided in a head-on crash in Cloquet Thursday night. The Minnesota State Patrol identified the victims as 54-year-old Fay Dahlman of Alborn, Minn., and 49-year-old Mark Laine of Saginaw, Minn.
Wis. Legislature Approves Right-to-Work
The Wisconsin state Assembly has passed a right-to-work bill on a straight party line vote. The bill passed Friday on a 62-35 vote, with all Republicans in support and all Democrats against. The Senate passed it last week.
Concern Grows over Hibbing Administrator's Anticipated Return, Matter Turned Over to AG's Office
Frustrations were high in Hibbing on Thursday night as community members gathered at Open Door Church with questions about the anticipated return of a Hibbing high school assistant principal. The administrator was terminated in August, but tonight no specific names or specific incidents could be mentioned during the meeting....
Johnston Sues Duluth School District, Fellow Board Members
Duluth School Board member Art Johnston has filed a federal lawsuit against the school district and five of his fellow board members, alleging that his civil and constitutional rights were violated when the board voted to remove him from office.
Another Thriller! Duluth East Advances to the State AA Semifinals after OT Win
Ryan Peterson's game-winner in overtime completed the 6-5 comeback win for the Greyhounds.