Updated: 04/07/2014 10:01 AM
Created: 04/03/2014 4:08 PM WDIO.com
The Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the relocation of Highway 53 for mining, is still under review by the Federal Highway Administration.
"They're asking good questions, and want us to explain and document a lot more. Which in the long run will be good," said project manager Roberta Dwyer, who is with MnDOT.
However, this means that the publication of the draft EIS won't happen until June, and the decision on where the road will be moved, is also pushed back into late summer.
"This puts us under an even tighter construction schedule," Dwyer said.
They had a tight schedule to begin with. The deadline to move the road is May of 2017, so only four years from now. Options on the table include going through the current United Taconite mine pit, or through the Rouchleau pit in Virginia.
MnDOT recently met with eight construction firms, who shared their input about the project.
"Their main concerns include the access to the project, the winter weather that could affect construction, and the time frame of when it needs to be done," Dwyer told us. "It was excellent feedback."
More cost estimates are being done. Senator Dave Tomassoni questioned the MnDOT finance director recently, about funding for the project. The director told him the money will come from existing road construction funds or bonding.
Speaking of bonding, in the house bonding bill, there is almost $20 million dollars for the relocation of utilities for the folks who live in Midway.
There are also changes ahead for the people in Midway. "The Cuyuna crossover will have to close when the new road is built. We are looking at other options, including keeping the right on, right off there. And at the Vermilion intersection, keeping the right on, right off open. Or making a new crossover altogether," Dwyer said. Nothing has been finalized.
Like many parts of this complex project, there are many decisions to be made. "We are reaching for expertise across the nation," Dwyer added.
Charge Against Superior Woman in Controversial Arrest Video Dismissed
A judge has dismissed a charge against a woman seen in a video of a controversial Superior arrest. At a hearing Friday, Judge Kelly Thimm approved a motion to dismiss a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge against Natasha Lancour.
Three Attempted Murder Charges Filed Against Woman in Douglas Co. Shootout
Twenty two-year old Jessica Gehl of Lake Nebagamon was charged with three counts of attempted first degree intentional murder Friday after she allegedly pulled a gun on her mother and then opened fire on authorities Wednesday. Gehl was also charged with first-degree recklessly endangering safety.
Reinert 'Strongly Considering' Running for Duluth Mayor
When Duluth Mayor Don Ness announced earlier this month that he would not seek re-election, many people were surprised. On Friday, Sen. Roger Reinert said he is strongly considering entering the race.
Dayton, Johnson Show Fire in Final Governor Debate
Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton and Republican nominee Jeff Johnson ended their series of debates Friday much like they began, with the incumbent hailing big-picture successes and his rival saying too many things went awry over the past four years.
KSTP/SurveyUSA: Health Care, Taxes Most Important to Voters
When it comes to making choices for political candidates on Election Day, Minnesota voters say health care and taxes are the issues most important to them.