abc
QUICK LINKS:

Bong Bridge Closure Delayed

Updated: 03/27/2014 11:54 AM
Created: 03/27/2014 11:49 AM WDIO.com

The closure of Duluth-bound traffic on the Richard I. Bong Memorial Bridge has been delayed until May.

The Duluth-bound lanes of the bridge, also known as U.S. Highway 2, were originally scheduled to close on Monday.  However, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation now says one Duluth-bound lane will remain open until May 5.

WisDOT said the change was made after reviewing the contractor schedule.  It said the change will minimize disruption to commuters and commercial traffic.

Drivers will still find one lane closed in each direction of the bridge beginning Monday.

When the Duluth-bound lanes of the Bong Bridge are closed on May 5, westbound U.S. Highway 2 traffic will be detoured to the Blatnik Bridge, following the route of U.S. Highway 53 to I-35.  Detour signs have already been prepared along the route.

The Bong Bridge will be undergoing a two-year project, which WisDOT said will be one of the most significant improvement projects since the bridge opened in 1984.  The intersection of the bridge and U.S. Highway 2/Belknap Street in Superior will also be converted to a roundabout as part of the project.

Superior-bound lanes will be closed in 2015.

Front Page

  • Vikings Place Adrian Peterson on Exempt List

    The move that will require Peterson to stay away from the team while he addresses child abuse charges.

  • Adrian Peterson (archive photo) Statement From Vikings Ownership Regarding Adrian Peterson

    Peterson will be placed on the Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list, which will require that he remain away from all team activities while allowing him to take care of his personal situation until the legal proceedings are resolved.

  • Police: Duluth Man Admitted to Killing Mother

    A 37-year-old man called police early Tuesday morning and told dispatchers to send officers to a Lincoln Park residence.  The man allegedly met officers at the door and told them they should arrest him because he just killed his mother.

  • Pine Co. Sheriff's Office Reports Children Missing

    The Pine County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's assistance in locating a man and two children who have not been seen since last week.  Authorities say 44-year-old Peter John Kunze and his two juvenile children failed to appear in court for a custody hearing on Friday and they are concerned for the children's welfare.

  • Matthew R. Reder and Jordyn A. Mazanec Runaway Teen Sought in Ironwood

    Jordyn A. Mazanec, 16, was last seen Monday in Ironwood after having a verbal disagreement during a phone call.  Mazanec's vehicle and cell phone were located near the Mt. Zion ski hill in Ironwood.

 

Freeze Warning

MI AREAS AFFECTED: Baraga; Dickinson; Gogebic; Iron; Ontonagon; Southern Houghton
Expires: 9/18/2014 10:00 AM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement