Updated: 03/21/2014 6:56 PM
Created: 03/21/2014 6:41 PM WDIO.com
By: Alan Hoglund
A tough task is ahead for ships expected to leave the Harbor this weekend. For the first time in several decades, the Duluth Seaway Port Authority says ice breakers will have to lead them across Lake Superior in a convoy.
Satellite images from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration show ice coverage on the lake at 90 percent this week. That number is down from about 95 percent when ice coverage peaked earlier this year.
Some of the ice is several feel thick, according to Jim Sharrow, the Port Authority facilities manager. "Those are heavy ice conditions you need a heavy ice breaker to help and assist those ships if they get stuck...the last time I remember having to convoy ships...across the lake was back in 1979."
When ice starts begins to melt, Port Authority Executive Director Vanta Coda said ships will have to make up lost time. "The benefit of the ice is that we get higher water levels and they will try to load heavier to their maximum capabilities. They will try to turn those ships quicker. By turn, I mean leave Duluth, go to Chicago and get back as quick as possible."
The locks at Sault Ste. Marie open just after midnight early Tuesday morning. But the Port Authority says, because of the ice conditions, several fleets won't be out on the water for the first time until early April.
Sharrow said there are nine US vessels breaking ice on the Great Lakes. He said two more from Canada are on the way.
Vikings Place Adrian Peterson on Exempt List
The move that will require Peterson to stay away from the team while he addresses child abuse charges.
Police: Duluth Man Admitted to Killing Mother
A 37-year-old man called police early Tuesday morning and told dispatchers to send officers to a Lincoln Park residence. The man allegedly met officers at the door and told them they should arrest him because he just killed his mother.
Pine Co. Sheriff's Office Reports Children Missing
The Pine County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's assistance in locating a man and two children who have not been seen since last week. Authorities say 44-year-old Peter John Kunze and his two juvenile children failed to appear in court for a custody hearing on Friday and they are concerned for the children's welfare.
Former Correctional Officer Pleads Guilty to Sexually Assaulting Juvenile Inmate
A former correctional officer at a juvenile facility in Grand Rapids has pled guilty to three charges of third-degree criminal sexual conduct.
Duluth Nonprofit Leads Gender Equality Training for Minn. Sports Coaches
Duluth nonprofit Men As Peacemakers is leading a statewide initiative to promote gender equality and prevent sexual violence. The Impact program focuses on training community and high school coaches. The creators of the program say coaches are key, as studies say they are often the most influential people in students' lives.