Updated: 03/05/2014 8:50 PM
Created: 03/05/2014 8:46 PM WDIO.com
By: Todd Wilson, KSTP
Megan Ramey has a unique story to tell about being diagnosed with cancer. "Shock at first. I was only 20 when I was diagnosed with skin cancer," she said.
Ramey says, she started using tanning beds when she was in high school. Once diagnosed, Ramey has been through several surgeries, amino therapy and weekly injections. She believes tanning beds had a hand in her situation.
"I knew you could get skin cancer from a tanning bed but did I think it would happen to me at age 20? Definitely not," she said.
To help prevent more cases like Ramey's, Rep. JoAnn Ward, DFL-Woodbury, proposed a bill to limit tanning equipment to people who are 18 or older.
"The incident of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, has more than doubled since 1995 among young women," Ward said.
Ward wants all tanning facilities to display a sign in a conspicuous place, at the point of sale, that states it is unlawful for a tanning facility or operator to allow a person under age 18 to use any tanning equipment. Plus they must post warning signs about the dangers of using a tanning bed within three feet of each tanning station.
Julie Doneux Dit Brialmont, the owner of Express Tan in White Bear Lake says, the bill goes too far. "I think parents have the absolute rights to make that decision for their child," she said.
Ramey says, the benefits of a tanning bed don't outweigh the costs. "A tan is not worth dying for," she said.
1,000-foot Laker Freed After Being Stuck near Bayfront Park
A laker ran aground near Bayfront Park in Duluth. Right before 4 p.m., the 1,000-foot laker got stuck right near shore. The laker was finally freed, with the help of two tug boats, at around 7 p.m.
Judge Rejects Minn. Plan for Disability Reforms
A federal judge has rejected a state plan to reduce the segregation of people with disabilities, saying it was too vague and lacked measurable goals.
A Special Feat for a Very Special Athlete: Superior Man Earns Black Belt
Brandon Moe has been training in Karate Taekwondo since he was a little boy. Saturday, he went for his first degree black belt, a proud moment for his mother who said complications at his birth didn't guarantee he'd be here today.
"Walk a Mile in Our Shoes" Raises Money for Steps Center
We all know that getting enough exercise is an important factor in staying healthy, but on Saturday, the annual "Walk a Mile In Our Shoes" event also raised thousands of dollars for the Steps Center.
Winds Keep Hot Air Balloons Down... Again.
Kites and hot air balloons were in Bayfront Festival Park on Saturday, but unfortunately, that wind grounded the balloons for a second year in a row. They're hoping to try for another balloon launch on Sunday.