Updated: 02/26/2014 6:22 PM
Created: 02/26/2014 4:38 PM WDIO.com
By: Renee Passal
Local contractors at the Essar Steel Minnesota are waiting for millions of dollars worth of payments from the company. And for that reason, according to the trade unions, no contractors are working on the site anymore.
Hammerlund Construction recently filed three liens against Essar. In those liens, they allege that $9 million dollars is owed to them for work on concrete, the tailings basin, and mine-stripping. Leaders told us that they were strongly encouraged to file the liens by their financial group.
And they are not alone. According to Representative Tom Anzelc, this has happened before. The Range delegation has urged Essar to pay the contractors. He said they were told in December that the company was going to get up to date on their accounts payable, have full financing by the end of 1Q of 2014, and be making pellets by October of 2015.
"It would be almost impossible to fulfill those commitments," said Anzelc over the phone. "It's upsetting and disappointing to say the least. $73 million dollars in public tax dollars went into making this project happen," he added. "We need our local guys and gals to be paid."
Dan Kingsley, Area Business Rep. for the Operating Engineers Local 49, said they were told in the fall that work was going to ramp back up at the site this winter. But it hasn't happened.
"From the labor standpoint, we are disappointed. People are not working, and we had high hopes they would be able to work through the winter. In Northern Minnesota, we don't get that many opportunities to keep a large number of people employed."
Essar said in a statement: "We are working with our contractors on financial matters, and appreciate all they've done for the project. With respect to project financing, substantial progress has been made and several important milestone's recently achieved. We have reached the very final stage and expect additional funding to be available relatively soon."
Charge Against Woman in Arrest Video Dismissed
A judge has dismissed a charge against a woman seen in a video of a controversial Superior arrest. At a hearing Friday, Judge Kelly Thimm approved a motion to dismiss a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge against Natasha Lancour.
Justin's 2014-2015 Winter Prediction
Winter is right around the corner and the question on everybody's mind is will we have a winter like last year. With record stretches of cold and record snowfall last year is one we one like to forget. Chief meteorologist Justin Liles lets us know what we can expect this year
Woman in Douglas Co. Shootout was found Unresponsive in House Fire Day Before
A 22-year-old Lake Nebagamon woman was hospitalized on Wednesday evening after an armed standoff with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. On Tuesday, authorities say that same woman was found by her neighbors unresponsive and not breathing after they saw flames coming from a downtown Lake Nebagamon home.
Funding for Military Funeral Personnel Restored
On Thursday, Rep. Rick Nolan received a letter from the Secretary of the Army that funding for the playing of "Taps," a rifle salute, and delivering a folded American flag will be restored.
Preparing for Ebola: Health System Working Together
People who work in the Northland's health system are communicating on a regular basis, to prepare for Ebola, even though it's unlikely to appear here.