abc
QUICK LINKS:

Explosive Charges Take Down Final Metrodome Concrete Ring

Updated: 02/23/2014 1:16 PM
Created: 02/23/2014 1:12 PM WDIO.com

Road closures, vibration, dust and noise hit downtown Minneapolis Sunday morning due to the demolition of the Metrodome’s final ring beam.

WDIO sister station KSTP reports that the concrete ring beam came down with use of controlled explosive charges. Structural and demolition experts revised the original demolition plan after a section of the ring beam collapsed on Monday out of sequence.

The team determined that explosives were the safest way to demolish the last portion of the beam. "It was a complete success, it's laying on the ground, that's mission accomplished," said John Wood, Senior Vice President, Mortenson Construction.

Now that the dust has settled, Mortenson Construction is working to come up with a back-up plan to demolish the rest of the dome. "We think this will be the last use of explosives in the demolition process, from this point forward it should be a pretty conventional approach," said Wood.

The ring beam and corners of the Metrodome were brought down with 84 charges of dynamite set in 24 columns of the upper concourse, according to the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority.

Neighbors experienced vibration, dust, and noise during and after the explosion, but experts said debris fell within the safety zone. The public was kept away from the area 250 feet from the Metrodome during the explosion.

It took 11 seconds to go down, knowing it'll take two years to put the replacement stadium up.

Mortenson Construction says they are still on schedule, and even though they need to come up with a new plan, the process is not delayed. They expect the entirety of the Metrodome will be gone by the end of April.

The new stadium, which will be the home to the Minnesota Vikings and many high school and college sporting and community events, remains on schedule to open in July of 2016.

Front Page

  • New York Officials: Doctor has Ebola, 1st in City

    A Doctors Without Borders physician who recently returned to the city after treating Ebola patients in West Africa has tested positive for the virus, according to preliminary test results, city officials said Thursday. He's the fourth confirmed case in the U.S. and the first in the nation's biggest city.

  • Minn. Officials Walk Through Mock Ebola Scenario

    More than 100 representatives from several Minnesota agencies are going through a mock exercise to review the state's preparedness in the event of a case of Ebola.

  • Lydia Marie Barney Woman Charged with Murder after Stabbing in Stoney Brook Township

    There is new development in the murder case on the Fond du Lac Reservation. The husband of the victim has been released, and he is facing no charges. Instead, the woman who police had been searching for, Lydia Marie Barney, has been charged with second degree murder.

  • No Injuries in Early Morning Esko Structure Fire

    Deputies say there were no injuries in an early morning structure fire in Esko Thursday. Crews responded to the 200 block of Nelson Road around 4:30 a.m. Deputies said the cause of the fire was not suspicious.

  • 1 Dead, 1 Arrested in Cass County Crash

    An Aitkin County man is in custody and another person is dead after a two-vehicle head-on collision in Cass County. 

 

Dense Fog Advisory

MN AREAS AFFECTED: Carlton, South St. Louis; Central St. Louis; North St. Louis; Northern Cook, Northern Lake; Pine; Southern Cook, North Shore; Southern Lake, North Shore
Expires: 10/24/2014 10:00 AM

Dense Fog Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Douglas
Expires: 10/24/2014 10:00 AM

Dense Fog Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Ashland; Bayfield; Burnett; Iron; Price; Sawyer; Washburn
Expires: 10/24/2014 10:00 AM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement