Updated: 02/14/2014 6:11 PM
Created: 02/14/2014 7:19 AM WDIO.com
By: Alan Hoglund
Quick action by firefighters prevented what could have become a downtown disaster. The City of Duluth says a blaze at the historic NorShor Theatre is even more reason to properly restore it.
Firefighters responded to the century-old building on East Superior Street around 4:30 Friday morning. They said the cause was a failed blower motor for the building's heating system and estimate damage at $15,000.
The fire damage was limited to one room on the upper floor behind the theatre's upper auditorium. According to Chris Eng, the executive director of the Duluth Economic Development Authority, the reason it didn't spread is because the room "is entirely made out of clay bricks and...concrete walls."
Much of the building smelled of smoke late Friday morning, but Eng said that's because the blower likely circulated it around the building quickly during the fire.
Duluth Chief Communication and Policy Officer Daniel Fanning said "the reason that these things are happening is because this building hasn't been invested in in a long time."
Fanning and Eng told Eyewitness News that the city bought the building for $2.9 million in 2010. Since then, the city has received criticism about the cost and restoration plans from some of the community and city councilors.
However, Fanning said they've got a tremendous opportunity. "We have a private developer who is stepping up in a huge way and doing a bulk of the work," he said.
According to Eng, Sherman Associates will take over the building in September, and with tax credits and private dollars, will front more than half the cost of the $22 million restoration project. The city is hoping the rest will come from the state.
"This building has a lot of integrity, a lot of character, and it's a part of the downtown that we're really trying hard to revitalize," Eng said.
Eng said construction is expected to begin in the fall.
UMD Football Players Suspended, Scholarships Lost for Alleged Underage Drinking Incident
UMD's head football coach shares more about the consequences from the recent underage drinking citations for about 25 of his players.
Driver Suffers Substantial Burns in Truck Explosion
A truck driver suffered substantial burns after an equipment malfunction caused an explosion in his vehicle Tuesday. Duluth fire officials said the truck was carrying waste oil when a pump backfired, igniting the vapors inside. The driver's condition is unknown.
Leaders, Fans Celebrate Wade Stadium Renovations
With a row of gold-painted shovels, a fresh start for an old favorite. Construction is underway at Wade Stadium in Duluth. There was a ground breaking ceremony Tuesday with city and state leaders.
Superior Councilors Award $1.98M Construction Contract for Animal Shelter
Superior City Councilors unanimously approved just shy of $2 million dollars for construction of a new animal shelter building on Tuesday.
New Stop Sign Gives Kids Safer Walk to Myers-Wilkins
City officials hope a new stop sign on Ninth Street and Eighth Avenue East will make the walk to school safer for students at Myers-Wilkins Elementary. The sign was put in largely at the request of the Duluth Police Department, and school personnel and parents.