Updated: 02/10/2014 8:45 PM
Created: 02/10/2014 1:01 PM WDIO.com
Several groups have partnered to create a new talent retention strategy for the Northland.
According to the Arrowhead Partnership for Economic Expansion, the website Northforce.org offers microsites focusing on Duluth, Superior, and the Iron Range and an employer-employee "matchmaking" function for current and prospective residents of the region. The website is a collaborative initiative of APEX, The Northspan Group, IRRRB, the cities of Duluth and Superior.
The goal of Northforce is to attract, manage, place, enrich and retain the talent community for northeastern Minnesota and northwestern Wisconsin.
The group has five core talent strategy objectives:
1. Attracting Talent: We educate prospective talent about the real reasons to come or stay.
2. Managing Talent: We foster and maintain a line of communication between communities, employers, and prospective talent that is dynamic and constructive.
3. Placing Talent: We help talent find employers, and employers find talent.
4. Enriching Talent: We provide opportunities for talent to grow, advance and change the face of the region.
5. Retaining Talent: We create an environment in which talent thrives and whose contributions are reciprocated in every way possible.
Minnesota Joblessness Hits Lowest Level Since 2001
Figures from the Department of Employment and Economic Development show that Minnesota employers added 6,600 jobs in November. That helped lower Minnesota's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate to 3.7 percent
Wisconsin Ranks 32nd in Private-Sector Job Growth
Wisconsin ranks 32nd in private-sector job growth for the 12-month period ending in June. The state Department of Workforce Development also reported Thursday that unemployment dropped from 5.4 percent to 5.2 percent between October and November.
St. Louis County Cracks Down on Smoking in Child Care Homes
Although most child care providers don't allow smoking in their homes already, St. Louis County created a rule to make sure it stays that way. On January 1st, all licensed family child care homes in St. Louis County will be completely smoke free 24 hours a day, seven days a week, regardless of whether children are present or not.
Remembering Sally: Co-workers Honor West Duluth Stabbing Victim
Coworkers of 75-year old Sally Marie Pionk shared their memories of their "dedicated" and "hardworking" friend Wednesday.
Truck Goes Through Intersection, Crashes into Front Entrance of Red Mug Coffeehouse
Just before 8 p.m., the truck went through the intersection of Broadway Street and Hammond Avenue and struck the entrance of the Red Mug Coffeehouse and Bake Shop. No patrons were using the door at the time of the accident and no pedestrians were injured, according to Sgt. Adam Poskozim.