Updated: 01/28/2014 6:09 PM
Created: 01/28/2014 1:25 PM WDIO.com
A controversial arrest in Superior will now be reviewed by the State of Wisconsin.
The State will review the allegations of excessive force by Superior Police Officer George Gothner.
Video from a police dashboard camera shows Officer Gothner's arrest of Natasha Lancour outside of Keyport Lounge on Jan. 5.
In his police report, Gothner wrote that Lancour struck and scratched him during the incident, and he responded with a closed fist punch to her face.
Lancour has been charged with a felony for battery of a peace officer. She said she was doing nothing wrong when Gothner went up to her and swore at her.
Police Chief Charles LaGesse turned the video and case over to an outside investigator, who is an experienced instructor in arrest tactics. Then, another piece of video came from a witness who recorded part of the arrest after Gothner and Lancour moved out of the view of the dash cam.
"Now, in light of the additional video and the obvious attention from media and the community, it's clear that we need the State of Wisconsin to be the investigation agency," said LaGesse.
The chief said his department has a good relationship with the community and that it would be in the best interests of everyone to have the Wisconsin Department of Justice oversee the investigation.
Gothner had been moved from patrol to office duty when the investigation began, but LaGesse said Tuesday that Gothner is now on leave in accordance with standard department procedures and state law.
"He is currently on administrative leave," he said. "He is not working but he will remain in paid status as required by Wisconsin statute."
Lancour's defense attorney, Rick Gondick, said he's happy the investigation will be overseen by the State, but said he is focused on getting his client's charges dismissed.
Lancour will appear in court Friday.
Woman Hospitalized after Armed Standoff with Deputies in Douglas County
A 22-year-old Lake Nebagamon woman was hospitalized on Wednesday evening after an armed standoff with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.
City of Tower Starts Dredging on Multi-Million-Dollar Harbor Project
The City of Tower is starting a new phase of an old dream. Back in June, WDIO's sister station KSTP reported that Tower's multi-million-dollar Harbor Renaissance Project hadn't gone anywhere in seven years. But Wednesday, the City said they're moving forward.
Minnesota Food Charter Launched at DECC
Around five hundred people flocked to the DECC for the Minnesota Statewide Food Access Summit. One of the big events? The launch of the of the Minnesota Food Charter. Only four other states have a food charter, but Food Charter Steering Committee Chair Mindy Kurzer said number five is unique.
Bong Bridge to Reopen Friday
The Duluth-bound lanes of the Richard I. Bong Bridge are expected to reopen Friday morning after a summer of construction. Superior-bound lanes have remained open this year but will be closed next year.
TV Campaign Ads Make Wealth an Issue in Minn. Election
It seems an hour doesn't go by without several television campaign ads criticizing a candidate for having millions of dollars or trying to line his or her pockets at government expense. Class warfare is nothing new in politics, but it certainly is more pronounced in Minnesota this year because of two Republican candidates: Stewart Mills and Mike McFadden. They've been the target of a barrage of attack ads aimed at their personal wealth and how they accumulated it.