Updated: 01/13/2014 3:10 PM
Created: 01/10/2014 5:20 PM WDIO.com
By: Maarja Anderson
A fund has been set up to help George Konecny and his son. There's an account at the First National Bank of Buhl/Mt. Iron. Call (218) 749-3190 for more information.
Other items, such as clothing and everyday living items can be brought to the Mt. Iron Library, 5742 Mountain Iron Ave. Library hours are Noon - 7PM Monday through Thursday and 10AM - 2PM Saturday. Size large shirts and pant sizes 32x32 and 34x32 are needed.
Sitting in his bed in the Essentia Health Miller Dwan Burn ICU, it's difficult for 63-year-old George Konecny to believe just how fast he lost his home.
"I tried to grab a couple of shirts and stuff out of the closet, it just happened so fast, I can't believe how fast," he said.
His home on Iron Junction Road in the Town of Iron was destroyed by a fire Thursday. Authorities responded to the fire around 3:20 a.m.
Konecny was sleeping upstairs with his two dogs, when he heard his son, Randy Konecny, yelling fire. His son's girlfriend, Alyssa Douglas, and Konecny's 7-year-old granddaughter were also in the home. Konecny tried to get downstairs but the smoke was thick and the flames were hot.
"So I just broke a window in the two-story [window]...and threw the dogs out first and then I jumped behind them. Then I didn't have any shoes or socks and it was cold," explained Konecny.
The dogs were okay and Konecny didn't break anything from the fall, but he didn't escape without suffering burns on his face, hands, and feet.
Authorities say Randy Konecny also broke a window to get Douglas and the young girl out from the first floor. They believe a space heater near a couch, where the 7-year-old girl was sleeping, started the fire.
Konecny met up with the rest of the family in the detached garage, where they waited for help in the garage.
In the cold for nearly an hour in bare feet, Konecny said he's not sure if it's the fire or the cold that hurt his feet so badly, but he's thankful it wasn't worse.
Konecny is now looking ahead. For 34 years he has worked at Dyno Nobel and he said once he has fully recovered, he will be back working.
Konecny's home was not insured.
Authorities said Randy Konecny and Douglas also suffered burns but were released from the hospital Thursday.
Special Report: Hypothermia Year-round Threat in Lake Superior
Last week we told you about signs on Park Point Beaches indicating E. coli in the water. There is another hidden danger to warn you about: hypothermia. It is an all-year problem on Lake Superior.
Park Pointers Still Frustrated with Public Access Plan
Residents of Park Point are expressing frustration again over city plans for public access to the beach through avenues near their homes.
Lightning Strike Ignites Duluth Heights Attic, Causes 35K Damage
The attic of a Duluth Heights home ignited Tuesday night after lightning struck the roof of the two-family dwelling. Firefighters said they responded to 3955 Fountaingate Drive around 8 p.m. When they arrived, they say smoke and fire was visible.
Duluth Woman Raising Money For Unpaid Maternity Leave
Nikki Bollman works at a Duluth daycare center and is expecting her first child. Her work doesn't offer paid maternity leave, so Bollman is getting creative. She created an online fundraiser for her cause. The concept is called crowdfunding and it's something that's gaining popularity.
Minimum Wage Increase Set for Friday
Some area businesses could take a hit when the state's mandatory minimum-wage increase takes effect Friday.