Updated: 12/28/2013 11:57 PM
Created: 12/28/2013 6:19 PM WDIO.com
By: Alan Hoglund
With the holidays winding down, now is the time to toss out your Christmas trees. That is, if they're real. The Superior Fire Department says that when they dry out it doesn't take much for it to go up in flames.
Battalion Chief Steve Edwards says keeping a dried out tree in your living room is no different than a pile of kindling, or a ready-made campfire just waiting to burn. "Once it goes, it burns very fast and very hot, and it does a lot of damage."
Edwards said everyone should witness how serious it can be for themselves. "It will be fully engulfed in 10 or 15 seconds," he said.
Edwards pointed us to video from the National Fire Protection Association. You can see some of the video above. In it, they light two trees at the same time. One of the trees is dried out and the other had been watered regularly.
In just five seconds, the video shows flames on the dried tree reaching the ceiling. After a minute and a half, there isn't much left. But the watered tree was hardly charred.
Eyewitness News stopped at some tree recycling spots to get your reaction to the video.
"Holy cow," Jacob Gruwell, of Duluth said. "That's crazy."
Gruwell tells us he had no idea a fire could get so big, so fast.
When Brady Vidovic saw the video, he said "oh wow...I'm glad we watered our Christmas tree. That's amazing."
Just three days after Christmas, the Duluth man was dropping off his old tree at Chester Bowl, saying preventing a fire is part of the reason he's already taken it down.
The NFPA says an average of 230 home fires in the United States started with Christmas trees between 2007 and 2011. On its webpage, the association said "although these fires are not common, when they do occur, they are likely to be serious."
According to Edwards, they're not as common as when he started with the Superior Fire Department two decades ago.
"Over the years we've noticed a drop in use of real trees," Edwards said. He also said people are being more cautious.
So, if that tree is still standing at home, what should you look out for that could start a fire?
Edwards said "the most common thing is faulty wiring, lighting on the tree." He said candles, fireplaces and space heaters that are a little too close could light the tree too.
"It doesn't take much to get the tree to start on fire."
To find out where to get rid of your tree for free, click here.
Special Report: Pattie's Journey
A local woman shares her journey in the fight against breast cancer. She's sharing the struggle of letting go of what she can't control and reclaiming what cancer strips away.
Nolan Bill Requires 'Buy American Steel' in Pipeline Projects
A bill introduced by Congressman Rick Nolan would require American made steel, made with American made iron ore pellet, to be used in virtually all pipeline projects.
E-Cigarette Business Booming as FDA Proposes New Regulations
Regulating the sale and use of electronic cigarettes is the goal of new rules proposed by the Food and Drug Administration Thursday. If approved, e-cigarette sales would be banned to people under age 18, a warning label would be placed on the devices, and manufacturers would be required to tell the FDA what's in their products.
Advocates Push for More Affordable Housing in Minn.
Housing advocates are pushing Minnesota lawmakers to do more to help low-income renters. Sherman Associates' renovation of the old Lincoln Park Middle School will provide 50 new housing units for Duluth next year. But researchers with the progressive think tank Minnesota 2020 say more needs to be done.
Hermantown Cheerleaders: We Just Want to Cheer
The Hermantown cheer team is fighting back after they learned the school board had approved to cut their district funding last week. The cut is part of larger budget cuts, but the cheerleaders are picketing Friday and Monday in hopes of gaining support at the next school board meeting. Whether school-funded or self-funded, the girls just want to cheer.